Trip back in time to the Hobby Shop

-
I was building Revel model cars at age 11. By the time joined the army, I had over 60 model cars of various brands on display in my room. One of my first models was a wood '32 Ford roadster powered by an .049 model airplane engine. I ran it on a long control string in the school tennis courts. I also dabbled in rocket cars powered by a c02 cartridge. I built a track in the attic and attempted to calculate the 1:49 scale speed. I bought my first real car a year later('35 Ford 5 window that never ran) but continued building models while I fooled with the Ford. . Somewhere back in the 50's Rod & Custom magazine had a model building contest where builders sent their creations in for judging. I sent in a model of the R&C '50 Chevy Dream Truck. I still have a few diecast models on my desk.

For the price of a model kit and the time to assemble I just buy the diecast models and they come out to perfection.
Today Hobby shops are very few and far between due to a company like Hobby King that came on the scene like gangbusters and the local Hobby shop couldn't compete with the China prices. Now we don't hear too much from them and since no young people in any Hobbies anymore they are all dying a slow death till us old farts are gone.

After my parents passed I found a large stash of old magazines including Young Men, and radio control planes in the garage attic, hung a few in garage and shop, still have the magazines
What a by gone era. "Young Men" magazine. That'd go over about like a lead balloon in today's climate.

...and that Reginald Denny's Hobby Shop. I bet that was the father or grandfather of Reginald Denny who was the trucker almost beaten to death in the LA riots after the Rodney King beating.

After my parents passed I found a large stash of old magazines including Young Men, and radio control planes in the garage attic, hung a few in garage and shop, still have the magazines
Those are very cool. Better hang onto them. Those days are gone.

-
Back