Truck / Trailer question?

-
I have a '97 Ram 1500 4x4 witht 5.9L engine and auto tranny. I tow a 900 pound trailer and a 3100 pound race car. No problems at all, most of the time I don't even know the trailer is back there. I've already had the tranny replaced once, though.

My neighbor has a 2000 Dakota 2x4, V6, auto tranny. His trailer weighs around 1200 pounds, his car is around 3000 pounds. He tows that no problems as well. It has no pickup with the trailer on it, though.

Mine is a 1997 Ram1500, 4x4, 5.2 litre, extended cab. I tow a 26' enclosed trailer and the car. Weighs about 8,000 to 8,500 pounds. There are some big hills on the way to the track, I slow down to about 38 mph on the big hills, BUT I can still pass a chevy on the hills!!! :D :D
3399tn_100_0032.JPG
3399tn_100_0083.JPG
70,000 miles, original trany.....

LOL OK I'll bite. If your only doing 38MPH then you are correct!, you are driving a Dodge :lol: If you like gas motors try a 8.1 litre chevy and go up that same hill. Go 38 mph and then nail it! your hitch will be 4 inches longer! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is a very steep hill :D :lol: A friend of mine that races with me has a 2001 Ford F-250, with the Power Stroke RATTLEBOX, and he won't even go that way to the races..., says it is to big of a hill !! :lol: I figure in another year , I will get a HEMI dodge truck. That should pull better!! I don't like diesels.. :D

Im not even going to jump in on all over the Chebby thing i can tell u all kinds of things wrong with them things,i can go crazy on the fords and i can find some things about the dodges too!as far as trucks and what u want its up to what u like!Im a die hard Dodge fan!I hav my 98' Ram 1500+ 5.9 360 its my mud toy yes its not a puller but itll kill all the other trucks out on the trail i dont care what u hav the new trucks suck off road!the dodges rule on and off the road the only trucks that have comp. with my ram are my buddies older 70's Chevies,fords and dodges other then them its the best!i think and we call it the show stoper cuz every one stops to see the Zombie hi the mud and the hills,iv alwas loved mopar on the road but my true lover is on the trail beating the crap out of them!i know this is no help but its fun to talk about,im also looking into buying a 04 3500 full size ram for my future of racing :roll:

BARRACUDA340S said:
LOL OK I'll bite. If your only doing 38MPH then you are correct!, you are driving a Dodge :lol: If you like gas motors try a 8.1 litre chevy and go up that same hill. Go 38 mph and then nail it! your hitch will be 4 inches longer! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do it with a Dodge 8.0L and you will have even better results, as an added bonus you'll also reach your destination :wink:

To put this topic to bed, I bought today a 97 dodge ram 2500, with a 360 mag and auto. It will pull my trailer and work around town too. So thanks for all the advice from everyone. We had a good debate on this subject.

Mike

now if u ever want to put a lift on that bad boy let me know i know all about lifts for the rams im in the works of a 13" set up for my ram!GOT MUD!

-
Back