Trunk lid not opening far enough - 65 Dart

-

Arizona

Former Yooper, always a MoPar fan.
Reaction score
The trunk lid on my Dart doesn't open very much on it's own (pic 1 below) when I unlock and let is go. When I push it up it comes down pretty far (pic 2 below). It goes up easily when I push it up so I know there isn't anything binding it. My guess is the torsion bars are weak. Can they be re-torqued? Do you know where to get NOS or reproduction? Thanks

Trunk1.jpg
Trunk2.jpg

The trunk lid on my Dart doesn't open very much on it's own (pic 1 below) when I unlock and let is go. When I push it up it comes down pretty far (pic 2 below). It goes up easily when I push it up so I know there isn't anything binding it. My guess is the torsion bars are weak. Can they be re-torqued? Do you know where to get NOS or reproduction? Thanks

View attachment 1715089852 View attachment 1715089853
They are adjustable but are a arm breaker if I remember. Use search and look for a thread or two.

They are adjustable but are a arm breaker if I remember. Use search and look for a thread or two.
I see what I think is the only adjustment - moving the end to a different hole in the mount. Planning to try that but really don't think that little adjustment will do the trick. Maybe I am wrong. They are in the center hole now.

I see what I think is the only adjustment - moving the end to a different hole in the mount. Planning to try that but really don't think that little adjustment will do the trick. Maybe I am wrong. They are in the center hole now.
Moving it one notch will do the trick

In case adjusting the rods doesn't help, I saved both from my 65 Dart convertible.

That post says to close the trunk lid for releasing tension, but it's actually open it to lessen the tension.
Prop it up with a board or something, wrap a towel once or twice around the rod so you don't scuff it all up and lock a pair of vise grips on it to move it.

That post says to close the trunk lid for releasing tension, but it's actually open it to lessen the tension.
Prop it up with a board or something, wrap a towel once or twice around the rod so you don't scuff it all up and lock a pair of vise grips on it to move it.
Read the whole thread. It's not long.
One of the last posts in that thread clearly states to have trunk lid open not closed correcting tha poster who then apologized for not remembering correctly. Great info. & helped me when I had a sagger two yrs. ago.

Read the whole thread. It's not long.
One of the last posts in that thread clearly states to have trunk lid open not closed correcting tha poster who then apologized for not remembering correctly. Great info. & helped me when I had a sagger two yrs. ago.

Well there we go then.

-
Back