Trunk lip vin number

-

m38jeepman

Reaction score
I have a 67 barracuda fastback that I have owned for several years. Today I just happened to look at the usual vin number stamping under the trunk weatherstrip and that number does not match the number on the vin plate.

It looks to be stamped wrong from the factory. The vin tag does not look to have ever been off of the car. It has the correct rivets still holding it on the door pillar.

The trunk stamping has 10 digits, all numbers. I thought the stamping only should have 8 digits.

The car is a 67 formula s 383 fastback that is an automatic. It still has the fender tag on it. The car needs restoring, but the original 383 and torqueflight are long gone. The car had buckets, disc brakes, vacuum gauge, 3.23 posi, and it was a special order car (U1) code. It still has the correct k member with the sway bar. Any ideas.

I have a 67 barracuda fastback that I have owned for several years. Today I just happened to look at the usual vin number stamping under the trunk weatherstrip and that number does not match the number on the vin plate.

It looks to be stamped wrong from the factory. The vin tag does not look to have ever been off of the car. It has the correct rivets still holding it on the door pillar.

The trunk stamping has 10 digits, all numbers. I thought the stamping only should have 8 digits.

The car is a 67 formula s 383 fastback that is an automatic. It still has the fender tag on it. The car needs restoring, but the original 383 and torqueflight are long gone. The car had buckets, disc brakes, vacuum gauge, 3.23 posi, and it was a special order car (U1) code. It still has the correct k member with the sway bar. Any ideas.

It will not match the VIN on 68 and older cars. It should match the number on the bottom of the fender tag. They didn't start using the VIN in the core support or trunk lip until 69.

10 numbers is correct.
The first 2 are the year and the plant, so yours is probably 72: 7 for 1967 and the 2 is Hamtramck.
The 7 and the 2 should also be the 6th and 7th characters in your VIN.
The last eight match the last 8 on the bottom of the fender tag, this is the Shipping Order No.
The first is the Scheduled Month, the next two are the Scheduled Day, (not the actual shipping date, but a scheduled date), and the last 5 are the Sequence No. (there is also a different 6 digit Sequence No. in the VIN, the last 6 digits)

Just out of curiosity, what is your Scheduled Month and Day?

Hmmm, My 69 Dart doesn't have any numbers in the trunk location...... And thats the only part of the car that doesn't look like its been replaced at some time or other. None on the core support either but it is stamped on the left front frame rail just behind where the bumper bracket bolts on. Its an LA assembled car.

Larry

You all are right about those numbers. I am not as familiar with the pre 69 cars. What got it started was my dad asking about his 69 barracuda convertible having the number, so I wanted to check my 67, when I saw the difference I was kind of worried.

The month and day is Feb 28. Last day of the month.

The lip number is 72 228 02062
Bottom line on fender tag: BH29 62 5 285 228 02062

Thanks guys.

You all are right about those numbers. I am not as familiar with the pre 69 cars. What got it started was my dad asking about his 69 barracuda convertible having the number, so I wanted to check my 67, when I saw the difference I was kind of worried.

The month and day is Feb 28. Last day of the month.

The lip number is 72 228 02062
Bottom line on fender tag: BH29 62 5 285 228 02062

Thanks guys.

That is funny, I'm helping a friend restore a 67 383 GTS and the build date is Feb 22 1967.

The numbers that are found on the radiator support (driverside) and the trunk lip(driverside) are actually the shipping number per my buildsheet. As I disassembled my 68 Formula 383 "S" i freeeeked out for the same reason. I pulled the buildsheet out from under the back seat and looked at it for 30 minutes until I noticed that these numbers were labeled as shipping number at the top left of the buildsheet. Just thought I would let ya'll know.

-
Back