Trying to make this maintenance work easier

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
And this is why I bought my 5th tool box from Harbor Freight. I did the rear parking brakes, rear disk brakes, and exhaust work on my 2006 Dodge diesel a few weeks ago. I lived with my tools on the floor for close to two weeks bending over for everything. At 68 I’m to old for that crap. So now if I’m working outside on my race car, motorhome, Dodge truck, or Chevy Malibu I can roll this over to the edge of my shop by the door. If I’m working inside on the race car it’s even handier. I have about 3 buckets of tools from past jobs waiting to fill it up. Down to one bucket now. It’s time to go eat.

IMG_4398.jpeg

IMG_4399.jpeg

IMG_4404.jpeg

IMG_4405.jpeg

I have seven boxes. Six are similar to what you have pictured and the seventh is a top and bottom unit. Almost fifty years worth of tools. Ugh. No. Over fifty. Dang I'm gettin old.

I have seven boxes. Six are similar to what you have pictured and the seventh is a top and bottom unit. Almost fifty years worth of tools. Ugh. No. Over fifty. Dang I'm gettin old.

I hate looking for tools or parts so the last 12 months I’ve organized some. I have two of the wooden top bigger boxes. One I strip and rebuilt heads. One I always have to clean off but do so to put transmission rebuild parts or engine assemblies. All my special tools are in my head bench. Wire, bushing drivers, pullers, etc go in the bottom of the other one.

I have every tool I need, my grandfather worked as a mechanic for Mr Goodwrench from 1948 -1976, guess who ended up with his tools and roller cabinet.
There isn't one Chinese tool in my collection, even the tools and cabinets I've gotten over the years are all American made.

I have that box next to my chair in the living room. It's mostly filled with my electrical and hose and tubing tools and supplies, but the top has turned into a catch-all of sorts. Unfortunately, even with all of my other boxes and utility carts, most of my tools stay in a "Everything in its place and everything all over the place" kind of setting...

I have that box next to my chair in the living room. It's mostly filled with my electrical and hose and tubing tools and supplies, but the top has turned into a catch-all of sorts. Unfortunately, even with all of my other boxes and utility carts, most of my tools stay in a "Everything in its place and everything all over the place" kind of setting...

My first I think it’s 48 inch bench that I bought from Harbor freight years ago. It’s on the back wall of my shop in the darkest part of my shop. It also right under my radiant wall heater. As I’ve added things to my shop every tool I needed was a walk around my three welders, head seat machine, and drill press. So this will cut out a lot of steps and stepping over stuff. Every hand tool that I need will be transferred to this cart. Then I will remark my drawers for meters, radiator tester, sonic tester, etc.

A place for everything and everything in its place!

If only I would put my tools away after each use
:rofl:

When we get older we want to get organized so if we keel over we won't be remembered as a disorganized slob.
At least that's my thinking

All my tools go back in the tool box when I am done, in there place.

If I don't, I will never remember were I used them last.

No wonder I can't finish my car, I keep losing it in my messes lol.
I need more tool storage for sure.
If it wasn't so weird I'd pack my framing bags with wrenches and sockets so I'm always ready

I bought the two piece box set years ago from Harbor freight because I wanted the top for my enclosed trailer. I had to take the lid off so it fits under the top counter boxes but I can still use the top. The bottom was a catch all but my new valve grinder fits perfectly on top of it. My old valve grinder had a nice wooden cabinet but John being John I can’t get rid of that valve grinder. I may put a collet setup on it if I ever get time just in case.

-
Back