TTI Installation Thread

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I've attempted to do this 3 times and never completed it. Here we go again....

This is my TTI installation thread where my small block `68 Barracuda get's new pipes. My car is a 4 spd. with a Lakewood scattershield, a difficult combination for clearance. There are a few problem areas I'd like to share with anyone contemplating doing this up-grade. I installed the ceramic coated polished step headers with the matching 2.5" aluminumized X-pipe system. I re-used my old 2 chamber Flowmasters with the hopes that the X-pipe would quiet it down some. The car was L-O-U-D above 3,000 RPM. Annoying loud....
070307_12241-vi.jpg

We'll start with this advice: Make sure you can get the car up as high as possible and still have it safely raised. There WILL be prying, banging, cutting, and wrestling. We don't want an un-safe condition. If you have the luxury of tying up a lift for a day or two, that's even better. But it can be done on jack stands in your garage. Plan on not driving the car for a few days too. If it's your daily driver, make arrangements ahead of time. It's NOT a 1-2-3 bolt-in!

I started by removing the old exhaust system. Wrenching will work... sawzall works better.
SANY0003-vi.jpg

TTI026-vi.jpg

HEADACHE #1:
I attempted to install the passenger side header first. The"easy" side. This is where I learned first-hand that TTI headers and Lakewood scattershields don't work. I had to take my sawzall out for round #2 of cutting.
SANY0032-vi.jpg

SANY0035-vi.jpg

WORD OF ADVICE: TEST FIT BEFORE THE ENGINE COMES OFF OF THE STAND IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!
SANY0034-vi.jpg

With the passenger side done, I was ready to tackle the bussiness side. I knew I was going to have trouble with the Z-bar..... But what I encountered first was wrestling the pipes in place while installing the slip pipe that wraps around the torsion bar. An exercise in frustration, but it wasn't too bad. Just getting the pipes in place, installing the slip pipe, and holding the gasket in place was fun. At this point all the clutch linkage should be out of the way: clutch pedal rod, Z-bar, bellhousing pivot, and the adjuster rod.
SANY0048-vi.jpg

HEADACHE #2:
This is where the we find out how bad the Z-bar hits. It took me 3 trips down the block to the local R&S Strauss Auto Parts Store to use their torches in the repair shop. A big thank you goes out to their manager and mechanics for letting me in the shop and use their torches, Fire Dept. fire codes be damned.
SANY0061-vi.jpg

This where the problem is: when you try to release the clutch it will hit this header tube. You'll never get the adjustment rod on, or the pedal linkage.

After the aforementioned trial & error we achieved our desired clearance.
012-vi.jpg

Now we have clutch linkage that works!!!!! The starter clears beautifully with no access issues. I'm not too sure what it's like to pull the scattershield to do the clutch though.....

HEADACHE#3:
This can be advoided if you install your driveshaft safety loop AFTER you install the X-pipe! I had some trimming and re-postioining to do as I mounted my loop years ago.
009-vi.jpg

Once we got that resolved we were able to test-fit the X-pipe.

HEADACHE #4:
2 years ago when I ordered my TTI system from Mancini's I checked the contents to make sure I didn't get 2 left side headers or some such screw-up. Everything looked good so I wasn't worried. What I didn't know was that they sent me the header adapters and NOT the header reducers. The difference is the adapters are about 7" too long. I wasn't about to return the adapters when I could trim the excess elsewhere. Once again, my trusty sawzall made a return appearance.
TTI008-vi.jpg

TTI012-vi.jpg

Hey, what the Hell.... It was only $1,300 for the best system in the world.

Now we had the X-pipe in!
TTI018-vi.jpg

We're getting there! Now we dig out the rest of the mounting hardware.

Look at these hangers. You could probably tow the car from these:
TTI003-vi.jpg

The rest of the system went it without any additional drama.
TTI002-vi.jpg

TTI001-vi.jpg

All in all, once they're in, they fit fantastic. No rattles, no squeaking, nothing. Nice & solid. And they DO look great!

TTI023-vi.jpg

TTI024-vi.jpg

All said & done, I'm not sure if I'm happy with my purchase. While the TTI system is incredibly well made and engineered to fit beautifully, thay are a royal ***** to install, especially on a 4 spd. w/ scattershield. My car has all new engine mounts and nothing was bent up, such as frame rails or the K-frame, and it was still a *****. I've been a mechanic all my life, own all the "right" tools, and have the skills.... and it was a ball-buster. Although I did have to do some hacking on my car, it did go in. But for the money they should offer you a modified Z-bar, or at the very least include one to hack up. I wasn't too pleased bending my new $95 Z-bar from Brewers Performance. Damn, they didn't even throw in a T-shirt or bumper sticker for that kind of money....

Verdict? Until I do an actual hands-on installation of another brand system, I'll have to say vote with your comfort level of getting involved with a challange, and how much extra coin is in your pockets. For the headaches involved, I'd say they are over-priced by about $500. But the positives? PLENTY of ground clearance and that X-pipe made a world of difference with the decibel level of my car: it sound's f`in AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It quieted-down alot. Now I can cruise in second gear and only set off every other car alarm in my neighborhood instead of every one!

But Hooker Super Comps are the absolute WORST header you can bolt on. There HAS to be a middle-ground between them and the TTI's.

Fastback, I see what mufflers you cut off, did you reuse them or install some that flow well and actually tone the sound down a tad?
Tom

I think he said he re-used them. I myself am not a fan of those mufflers.

Heck of a job John, heck of a job.

I've never installed one of there exhaust kits but I've installed about 5 set of TTI headers now. I had the most problems with the A body small block headers. They still beet anything else Ive installed though.

the B and E body 1-7/8" 440 headers I have down to a science. I just pull the T-Bars, and lift the motor up a bit. Its not hard to do and it beet trying to stuff $800 of polished header tubes in to a space half the size.

Fastback, I see what mufflers you cut off, did you reuse them or install some that flow well and actually tone the sound down a tad?
Tom

I re-used the Flowmasters. I know they're not everyones favorite, but with the X-pipe it sounds exactly the way I want it to sound: It idles pretty quiet, growls a bit more during normal cruising, and it get's nasty when you REALLY get on it. But it's nowhere NEAR as bad as it was, which made me appreciate the FatMat under the carpet!

But really... for $1,300+ they are exspensive for the headaches. I spent 3 weekends of spare time putting these in. And I was going to do it on a lift at work on a Saturday! I'm soooo happy I decided to do it at home!

But I must admit, the car sounds great and the extra torque is VERY noticable on my car. Not to mention it honestly feels like it has another 15-20 HP, which I attribute to the X-pipe.

I have a new laptop and I just got the home PC back yesterday. I'm having trouble uploading MP4's on the laptop, and I have no idea what still works in the PC tower after I had it Exorcised last week....

But I promise, video is coming. =P~

Thanks for the compliment. I've been hearing the pro's & con's over this system for years now. I figured I'd chronicle what happened to me and how I resolved it.

The hack-job on my scattershield will get cleaned up at work one Saturday up on a lift, along with replacing my shifter bushings. I also rebuilt the shifter and had the driveshaft balanced. It feels like a different car now.... The shifter is TIGHT.... and there's no more annoying vibration above 3,500 RPM! And the extra torque from the new exhaust... I can't wait for the new radiator to get here. It's making me nuts that I can't go far as the radiator is now officially leaking BAD. The aluminum one I bought was beautiful, but didn't fit worth a rats-***. I went with the repro from Year One. Supposedly it's a direct replacement.

We'll see..... :-D

BTW: I have a sound clip posted in another thread.

it's kinda hard to see what you did to the Z bar in the photo....just how much modification did you have to do to get it to fit, and what? I am facing the same thing one of these days, only difference is I have an old Ansen bellhousing, and it's going into a 69 Valiant.
I am considering a hudraulic throwout bearing, and I wondered what you had to do....
Thanks,
Alan

Sorry for not including a picture of the modified Z-bar, but by the second trip to bend it, I was loosing my ambition. I was soooo happy when it finally fit, I never took a picture.

Looking at the Z-bar from behind(clutch pedal end up on the left, the adjuster leg bottom right) you want to carefully bend that adjuster leg towards the starter/bellhousing. Too much and you'll hit the starter. Too little and it will still hit the pipe. This is why it took me 3 attempts to get it right. Plus you have to keep the pivot parrallel to the fork or things will bind.

Nothing but pure, unadulterated fun..... :angry7:

I've attempted to do this 3 times and never completed it. Here we go again....

This is my TTI installation thread where my small block `68 Barracuda get's new pipes. My car is a 4 spd. with a Lakewood scattershield, a difficult combination for clearance. There are a few problem areas I'd like to share with anyone contemplating doing this up-grade. I installed the ceramic coated polished step headers with the matching 2.5" aluminumized X-pipe system. I re-used my old 2 chamber Flowmasters with the hopes that the X-pipe would quiet it down some. The car was L-O-U-D above 3,000 RPM. Annoying loud....
070307_12241-vi.jpg

We'll start with this advice: Make sure you can get the car up as high as possible and still have it safely raised. There WILL be prying, banging, cutting, and wrestling. We don't want an un-safe condition. If you have the luxury of tying up a lift for a day or two, that's even better. But it can be done on jack stands in your garage. Plan on not driving the car for a few days too. If it's your daily driver, make arrangements ahead of time. It's NOT a 1-2-3 bolt-in!

I started by removing the old exhaust system. Wrenching will work... sawzall works better.
SANY0003-vi.jpg

TTI026-vi.jpg

HEADACHE #1:
I attempted to install the passenger side header first. The"easy" side. This is where I learned first-hand that TTI headers and Lakewood scattershields don't work. I had to take my sawzall out for round #2 of cutting.
SANY0032-vi.jpg

SANY0035-vi.jpg

WORD OF ADVICE: TEST FIT BEFORE THE ENGINE COMES OFF OF THE STAND IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!
SANY0034-vi.jpg

With the passenger side done, I was ready to tackle the bussiness side. I knew I was going to have trouble with the Z-bar..... But what I encountered first was wrestling the pipes in place while installing the slip pipe that wraps around the torsion bar. An exercise in frustration, but it wasn't too bad. Just getting the pipes in place, installing the slip pipe, and holding the gasket in place was fun. At this point all the clutch linkage should be out of the way: clutch pedal rod, Z-bar, bellhousing pivot, and the adjuster rod.
SANY0048-vi.jpg

HEADACHE #2:
This is where the we find out how bad the Z-bar hits. It took me 3 trips down the block to the local R&S Strauss Auto Parts Store to use their torches in the repair shop. A big thank you goes out to their manager and mechanics for letting me in the shop and use their torches, Fire Dept. fire codes be damned.
SANY0061-vi.jpg

This where the problem is: when you try to release the clutch it will hit this header tube. You'll never get the adjustment rod on, or the pedal linkage.

After the aforementioned trial & error we achieved our desired clearance.
012-vi.jpg

Now we have clutch linkage that works!!!!! The starter clears beautifully with no access issues. I'm not too sure what it's like to pull the scattershield to do the clutch though.....

HEADACHE#3:
This can be advoided if you install your driveshaft safety loop AFTER you install the X-pipe! I had some trimming and re-postioining to do as I mounted my loop years ago.
009-vi.jpg

Once we got that resolved we were able to test-fit the X-pipe.

HEADACHE #4:
2 years ago when I ordered my TTI system from Mancini's I checked the contents to make sure I didn't get 2 left side headers or some such screw-up. Everything looked good so I wasn't worried. What I didn't know was that they sent me the header adapters and NOT the header reducers. The difference is the adapters are about 7" too long. I wasn't about to return the adapters when I could trim the excess elsewhere. Once again, my trusty sawzall made a return appearance.
TTI008-vi.jpg

TTI012-vi.jpg

Hey, what the Hell.... It was only $1,300 for the best system in the world.

Now we had the X-pipe in!
TTI018-vi.jpg

We're getting there! Now we dig out the rest of the mounting hardware.

Look at these hangers. You could probably tow the car from these:
TTI003-vi.jpg

The rest of the system went it without any additional drama.
TTI002-vi.jpg

TTI001-vi.jpg

All in all, once they're in, they fit fantastic. No rattles, no squeaking, nothing. Nice & solid. And they DO look great!

TTI023-vi.jpg

TTI024-vi.jpg

All said & done, I'm not sure if I'm happy with my purchase. While the TTI system is incredibly well made and engineered to fit beautifully, thay are a royal ***** to install, especially on a 4 spd. w/ scattershield. My car has all new engine mounts and nothing was bent up, such as frame rails or the K-frame, and it was still a *****. I've been a mechanic all my life, own all the "right" tools, and have the skills.... and it was a ball-buster. Although I did have to do some hacking on my car, it did go in. But for the money they should offer you a modified Z-bar, or at the very least include one to hack up. I wasn't too pleased bending my new $95 Z-bar from Brewers Performance. Damn, they didn't even throw in a T-shirt or bumper sticker for that kind of money....

Verdict? Until I do an actual hands-on installation of another brand system, I'll have to say vote with your comfort level of getting involved with a challange, and how much extra coin is in your pockets. For the headaches involved, I'd say they are over-priced by about $500. But the positives? PLENTY of ground clearance and that X-pipe made a world of difference with the decibel level of my car: it sound's f`in AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It quieted-down alot. Now I can cruise in second gear and only set off every other car alarm in my neighborhood instead of every one!

But Hooker Super Comps are the absolute WORST header you can bolt on. There HAS to be a middle-ground between them and the TTI's.
I share your frustrations, I’m in the middle of the same project. What a %$@# anyway I will post my end result in a few days.

Fastback, could you pm me? Have questions about your induction system.

I was curious, is he running a stroker, and if so, what jetting did he end up with the six pack . I will be running a similar set up, 418.
Didn't want to hurt the motor finding out, but I'll get it.
Thank you.

Had your name, sorry. I will just drop it here.
Thank you

-
Back