Tuning problem/questions

-

torredcuda

Reaction score
I have an idle problem I`m trying to figure out.I just swapped to a Proform main body after athe secondary squirter screw stripped out on my stock one and the engine will not idle down without stalling.It gets down to 1500rpm and then when you lower the idle screw it will start to die out and stall.Also when you rev the engine to 3-4k and let off it takes a while for the revs to come back down.I have had the idle problem with other carbs before but not as bad and with some time tuning the idle screws it will idle OK.I talked to my local engine guru and he said he had the same problem and it turned out to be the distributor advancing too soon.Anyone else have this happen and at what rpm should the mehanical advance start to come in,just off idle or 1200rpm,1500rpm??I have the Mopar dist. with the stoack springs that it came with.They look to be red for the light spring and light blue for the heavier one.what springs are you guys running in yours?Any other suggestions?I should also mention I have already drilled .062 holes in the throttle plates and the vacuum advance is disconnected.I am going to run the distributor on a machine this week to dial in the curve better,at what rpm should the mechanical advance start to come in?

-
Back