turbo action valvebody install

-

71swing

Reaction score
I going to by a turbo action manaul/auto fwd valve body for my 727 dart. does this reqiure me to remove the trans,or can it be installed like a shift kit (for the bottom pan).

Just wonder on the difficulty of the install.

Get one with Low band apply (If it doesn't say it has it, then it doesn't)
Here's a link that explains why this is a good thing to have. Look about 2/3rds down the page under where it says ProStreet Valve bodies
http://www.coperacingtrans.com/valvebodies.htm
This company also makes some great valve bodies.
You can install it from the bottom of the pan like a shift kit, It will take ya a few hours.

This is a simple install. Drain fluid. Remove pan. Remove levers from trans. Remove filter. Remove (I believe its 10) screws holding valve body in, watch out you might get some more trans fluid when valve body comes down. Remove old valve body and accumulator spring if its still in there and pull it out with park rod on it. Transfer park rod to new valve body and bolt it in. Don't put accumulator spring back in. You done.

don

I guess I din't understand what low band apply means, what do I gain with that option. the link only mentioned better performance,harder shifts.

Is there more to it, I mean what is the difference between a aftermaket valvebody and one with low band apply feature.

It's more of a safety thing,
==========================================================
Quote: by leaving the low/reverse band off, the sprag has to do all the holding of the low/reverse drum. This now makes the sprage a weak point in the 727 trans because the low/reverse band is not applied along with the sprag.
What happens to a 727 when the sprag fails? The transmission will free-wheel at 2x the eng. RPM. When this happens, and the stock steel front drum is in the transmission, the front drum will explode.

(There's a pic of the exploded tranny on that link, wonder where all those pieces went? Hopefully the guy had a tranny shield.)

Now that you know what can happen when having the low/reverse band off/unapplied when running a stock steel front drum, it's like having a time bomb strapped to your car. Do you want a valve body with low band apply? I know I do.

How can the 727 sprag fail in a racing transmission ?

1. Any time the sprag is shocked, you brake a U-joint, axle, or ring&pinion, it can cause sprags to fail

2. Driver error. In the heat of competition/excitement a driver could accidentally nuetral-drop the transmission. I know what your thinking, I've never done that. But it could happen.

3. If the carb or ignition causes a back-fire and the car noses down and picks back up, or if you get in and out of the throttle while in first gear, you can damage the sprag.

4. If the car hooks, then the tires spin, then hooks again, the sprag can fail. And I know none of us have EVER had traction probs. (yeah, right)

5. Doing burn outs, starting in first gear is the biggest no-no of all. Burn outs should be done starting in 2nd gear and shifting into 3rd gear.
All 5 conditions are while in first gear.
=========================================================

I know there's a few members that run the TA valve bodies that don't have low band apply and have never had any problems, but since your buying a new one anyway why risk it!

Do you stand behind CRT product, because if Low band is that important I will just buy from them.

Just never heared of them. I have been burnt before by companies (GER) that are not the majoraty. I know every has a turbo action, but I will give CRT a try.

At least a valve body is only 200$ not the 2500$ (GER) took me for on my AOD for my 5.0L.

CRT makes a great product. The guys Name is John Cope, give him a call he's a Mopar guy, alot of racers use his stuff. They also have great customer service.

I agree totally with the comments of Prostreetduster. Low band apply is very important in a street driven car. Cope racing is a very reputable establishment. Andrews Racing also is. I have dealt with Chris at Andrews and found him to be excellent and would recomend him anyday. Here's a link to their page of manual valve bodies for comparison. http://www.andrewsracingtrans.com/Transmissions/727/valve_body/index.html

The one you'd probably want is the last one on the page.

I think I will go with cope racing. I think I would like to stick with the automatic option in drive for the street, Sence I see the street more than track. It doesn't apear A&A carry a automatic/manaul valve body.

Is full manaul valvebody a pain on the street.

I cruise maybe twice a week (local car shows),And go to the track maybe once a month if that.

I think I will go with a Cone Racing full manual reverse valve bodies. It should'nt be to much af a pain on the street,sence I only drive about 5 miles a week with it.

Now, does the factor 727 have low band apply already, Because I purchased the car about 2 years ago. Replace everything on it but the tranny. Think it's stock, but the engine does decell the car when in first gear and you let off the gas.

-
Back