Two Light Questions

-

70SwingerGuy

Reaction score
First question is, included in the LED cluster bulb kit for my 70 rally dash was a glovebox bulb, but it doesnt seem to want to work when I plug it in, a standard bulb works just fine, but no matter which way I put this LED bulb in, it just wont work. Could it just be a bad bulb, or am I missing something here?
Question two, I just noticed that on the back of my headlight switch, there is a spade terminal for a ground, is this supposed to be grounded here? I would think that the switch would be grounded once installed in the cluster.
switch.jpg

The ground on the headlight switch only will affect the dome light. May not be necessary if the headlight switch grounds to the frame, but doesn’t hurt to hook it up to ground.

Could be a bad led bulb for glove box. You could get another bulb, but Do you really need a led in the glove box?

is the dimmer on the light switch turned all the way up? some LEDs must have full 12V to function. IE not dimmable!

is the dimmer on the light switch turned all the way up? some LEDs must have full 12V to function. IE not dimmable!
LEDS also have polarity.

Try switching the bulb around in the socket.

These guys are likely on the right track with polarity but you cannot just "turn it around" This is an 1891, single contact, bayonet base.

So, I do not know how the socket is wired. It is above ground, as the switch grounds the circuit, but it may be factory wired with power to the shell instead of the contact. The way to find out is pull the socket and stick a meter to the shell and see if the shell is hot or ground. If it is hot, then you could cut the wiring and reverse the two wires Before you do THAT however, take the bare bulb and jerry rig to a battery, then turn it around so the contact is on NEG. If it lights "backwards" the bulb is wired backwards, which is doubtful. If it will not light either way, it is simply defective

Could be a bad led bulb for glove box. You could get another bulb, but Do you really need a led in the glove box?
Not really, just wanted to make use of something I bought and paid for :)
Hmm, thats something I never thought of, Ill check that out! Hopefully its that simple, but I think my lights are turned all the way up.
LEDS also have polarity.

Try switching the bulb around in the socket.
Yup, did that, no change
These guys are likely on the right track with polarity but you cannot just "turn it around" This is an 1891, single contact, bayonet base.

So, I do not know how the socket is wired. It is above ground, as the switch grounds the circuit, but it may be factory wired with power to the shell instead of the contact. The way to find out is pull the socket and stick a meter to the shell and see if the shell is hot or ground. If it is hot, then you could cut the wiring and reverse the two wires Before you do THAT however, take the bare bulb and jerry rig to a battery, then turn it around so the contact is on NEG. If it lights "backwards" the bulb is wired backwards, which is doubtful. If it will not light either way, it is simply defective
Thanks, thats something Ill have to try also. I tested the bulb and it lights fine when jerry rigged to the battery, wont light backwards.

LOL that is one good thing about LEDs---with all the smoke you can produce by wrongly connecting electronics, LEDs won't fail, they just won't work.

I understand that there are some now that ?? must be a pair of LEDs wired one reversed to the other, so that the lamp will work either way.

-
Back