TWO QUESTIONS.......WHEEL WELL FINISH AND FENDER INSTALLATION

-

CFD244

"THE NEW OLDSMOBILES ARE IN EARLY THIS YEAR"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Just getting to the final stages with my '71 Demon and I have 2 questions.......

During re-assembly, is there a sealer or gasket that goes between the inner fender flange and the underside of the fender mounting boss, or does it just get bolted on?

Next question........Here's what I did........I epoxy primed the inner fender area (front and rear wheels)and splash guards, then applied paintable rubberized rocker guard. Now, should I paint that black, or body colour?

Thanks FABO

I don't think there is any gasket, none on our cudas. Rubberized rocker moulding is a personal preference thing....me I would go black.

Last edited:
no gasket but you want some kind of seal there to keep any wheel well water from creeping around that joint into the engine bay. I think the factory used some kind of butyl or seam sealer or something. I used some thin weatherstripping from Menards. I would paint the rubberized coating black in the wheel wells to make all that area disappear with a tire on.

Body color:
Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 8.44.51 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 8.44.27 AM.png

Which looks better?

The fenders are installed with a seam sealer adhesive . This was done to help strengthen the unitized front. . If you buy a body kit they give a foam strip in a roll for this area. I have a collection of them because use seam sealer as recommended in the body assembly manual.

Just like the rad support black the inners out. Unless you want to show off your paint on them like most do behind the grille.

stripe pictures 001.jpg

DSC02493.JPG

If you drive on wet/muddy roads you will need sealer in this area to prevent splash from entering the engine compartment. I chose not to use any to keep engine bay "clean" and this car will never see a wet road.

If you drive on wet/muddy roads you will need sealer in this area to prevent splash from entering the engine compartment. I chose not to use any to keep engine bay "clean" and this car will never see a wet road.
Without sealer for adhesive the paint between the fender and apron will wear from movement and rust is inevitable. They glued the fender everywhere including the bottom. If you ever removed a fender that was never replace or the adhesive wasn't dried up. You have to pry the fender off. This was not only done for sealing the apron . It was done to strengthen the front and prevent squeaks from movement

I have RV butyl tape here that is about 3/4 wide and 1/8 thick. Would that be a good option?

-
Back