U joint instillation problem

-

74 360 dart sport

Reaction score
I cannot press this joint on my yoke far enough for both inside snap ring's can a guy press this new u joint out to give it a 180 turn or will it ruin it thanks in advance

Sometimes the needle bearings fall out and are laying flat in the cup, check that first. I usually apply a generous slathering of grease to keep the needle bearings sticking to the sides of the cup.

If you use a press it tends to bend the yoke in and that will cause it to be to tight. I always use a big hammer and a old king pin to knock them out and back in.

If you use a press it tends to bend the yoke in and that will cause it to be to tight. I always use a big hammer and a old king pin to knock them out and back in.
Agree sometimes the ears will get bent in so the C clips can’t be installed. I use a big vise and with a large drift knock them back apart.

^^Answers above^^ Make ABSOLUTELY certain rollers are not stuck in bottom of cap. If not get the joint in, with one cap etc, press joint gently so uncapped journal is moved outward, then slip second cap on. Now you can install one snap ring, then press joint towards that direction of snap ring. If second ring will not go in, you have moved the yoke a little bit. With yoke still clamped in vise or press, use a large brass (soft) drift to move the errant yoke ear out a tiny bit. Joint should NOT be real tight when done so far as rotation. If so, "whack" each yoke ear from the outside and see if that loosens up joint

^^Answers above^^ Make ABSOLUTELY certain rollers are not stuck in bottom of cap. If not get the joint in, with one cap etc, press joint gently so uncapped journal is moved outward, then slip second cap on. Now you can install one snap ring, then press joint towards that direction of snap ring. If second ring will not go in, you have moved the yoke a little bit. With yoke still clamped in vise or press, use a large brass (soft) drift to move the errant yoke ear out a tiny bit. Joint should NOT be real tight when done so far as rotation. If so, "whack" each yoke ear from the outside and see if that loosens up joint
Yeah thats what i meant. I just don’t like to type as much as you.

I have failed once in this endeavor. Never again!

I like my press for this, but I have done plenty the old fashioned way with sockets and hammer!

I have a drawer full of all sizes of punches. Both brass and steel. From 4” to 24”.
I just got it completed I went and bought another new u joint same part number as the new 1 that gave me a problem and it went right in with no issues the parts store told me if it went in they would refund me for the other

-
Back