u-jopints and driveshaft

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
im working on my 70 duster today. found a rear u-joint that had a LOT of play in it. it was rocking a bit in the yoke on the rear axle. put the correct u-joint in it, and the caps are turning inside the holes on the driveshaft. if i rememebr right, they arent supposed to do that. Am i correct? is there any simple fix?

Michael

The caps should be a tight fit in the bores. Same applies to wheel bearing races. From a engineering approach, there shouldn't be enough drag in the bearings to turn the race in the housing. Scoring the bore with a punch works to scotch the race ( or cap ) but I wont recommend that as a fix for yours. Good luck

You would need a new weld yoke on the shaft then... what happens if you don't...

The caps spin and eventually come out and so does the shaft..

thats what i came to the conclusion of. i mic'd the u-joints and shaft. .002-.005 difference, depending on the part of th bore in the shaft i was micing.

im calling the local driveshaft shop tomorrow. have to get the car back on the road. as of lunch, its the only 4 seater car we have with a good motor.

today sucked.....

michael

-
Back