Ugly Rear Bearing

-

Frank Mopar

Reaction score
Pull my rear main to replace the seal and lo and behold the bearing was a mess. All the others are fine.

The crank was not hurt and I was able to clean it up nicely.

360 out of a 1974 Challenger. Not sure if its ever been apart.

Any ideas to what happened to the rear main?
C4885A31-FA95-4BD0-9B93-B6D481969EB2.jpeg
D331AE9A-5868-445A-BD08-7C3BF45DA5EB.jpeg

Look at the rear of the bearing. See if it has a date on it. Will give you an idea how old the build is.

Looks like trash and debris got in it from somewhere.

Have you rotated the crank to see the other side?

Have you rotated the crank to see the other side?

The crank pic is after I cleaned it up. Both rear bearings look the same. Number 4 is ok. Didn’t pull the others yet. I’ll Change the bearings and run it.

I’ve had the car for 6-7 years. The motor was never apart since I’ve had it. Oil pressure has always been good. Running 10w-40.

are you sure it's the seal that is leaking?
I mean if the cam plug is blown out or the one oil-galley plug up in the BH is coming out.... oil will come down in the same place, right?
So take a real good look at that seal that you removed.

are you sure it's the seal that is leaking?
I mean if the cam plug is blown out or the one oil-galley plug up in the BH is coming out.... oil will come down in the same place, right?
So take a real good look at that seal that you removed.

i had the trans out last year and seen no oil up higher.

From looking at oil flow (Sometime Google give you more then you want) it looks like oil feeds the 5 main then the connecting rod. So If the #5 connecting rod bearings are Ok the it should be ok to run Im thinking.

Great info Thanks!.

I have the exact replacements. I pulled the rod bearings and no issues were found. So Ill run it.

-
Back