Unexplainable Transmission Stutter... help?

-
we will check the step up springs on the carb...to make sure they are not jumping up and down...I have a FAST AF meter we were going to check to make sure it is idling clean....but been side tracked with the trans...

I am 99 % sure he has the right dipstick.....i know a 727 will not work...been there done that....

I drove the car....the trans shutters....and will not shift out of 1st gear.....

Ah, ok then.
I suppose it's also possible the governor is hung up, but no upshift along with the shudder is a bad sign. (bet you wanted to hear that):D
With a shudder and no shift situation unless it's the wrong filter or installed wrong I'd expect junk in the fluid and a burned direct clutch.

All this has probably gone through your head multiple times already.

Ah, ok then.
I suppose it's also possible the governor is hung up, but no upshift along with the shudder is a bad sign. (bet you wanted to hear that):D
With a shudder and no shift situation unless it's the wrong filter or installed wrong I'd expect junk in the fluid and a burned direct clutch.

All this has probably gone through your head multiple times already.

Yea I dont like bad signs. I'm just perplexed as to how it could be fine before taking the car apart and then not good when putting it back together, mind you on a part that even worked on. That's what doesn't make sense to me.

Took a minion with me. Had him press the pedal and make sure the throttle and shifter cables were both functioning properly. Imo it looks pretty good. Here is a video of carb and trans hookup.

Next I wanted to make sure the shift lever was where it was supposed to be. Put it in park and lever is all the way back.

Put it in first unhooked the column to shifter rod? (Piece circled) and physically moved the shift lever. It was actually able to move ever so slightly forward.

20200418_105951.jpg

20200418_110400.jpg

Yea I dont like bad signs. I'm just perplexed as to how it could be fine before taking the car apart and then not good when putting it back together, mind you on a part that even worked on. That's what doesn't make sense to me.

Really only unless the linkage changed when things were apart.
He addressed that a bit ago.

Next I wanted to make sure the shift lever was where it was supposed to be. Put it in park and lever is all the way back.

Put it in first unhooked the column to shifter rod? (Piece circled) and physically moved the shift lever. It was actually able to move ever so slightly forward.

View attachment 1715510818

View attachment 1715510819

Good call.

I got the car to not stutter! The only problem is you have to set the lokar cable so damn tight you cant press the freaking gas pedal... it still doesn't shift out of first either. Heres a video of where it is set to have no stutter and yes I made a little grunt noise trying to get that little ****** to move.

Ok. I just looked at my linkage, i cant move it due to jack being under trans. And its wedged against firewall.
Is cable not supposed to travel backwards with throttle? As in connected to same point where cable pulls?

And with a cable, you need a spring return on bottom?

The spring should be on the top and going forward. The bottom spring setup causes the linkage to teeter-totter the throttle shaft against the carb housing; wearing them both out; gets sloppy; inconsistent idle from the variable vacuum leak.

Ok. I just looked at my linkage, i cant move it due to jack being under trans. And its wedged against firewall.
Is cable not supposed to travel backwards with throttle? As in connected to same point where cable pulls?

The shifter cable is supposed to travel backwards with the throttle cable. When adjusted properly it slips/stutters.

When over tightening the lokar, the trans doesn't slip/stutter but is so tight it has essentially moved the kickdown lever on the transmission almost all the way back.

The shifter cable is supposed to travel backwards with the throttle cable. When adjusted properly it slips/stutters.

When over tightening the lokar, the trans doesn't slip/stutter but is so tight it has essentially moved the kickdown lever on the transmission almost all the way back.

That tells me that it needs more fluid pressure to not slip, and that isn't very comforting because either the fluid is leaking out of something inside, or the pump is not capable of putting out the pressure it needs.(also probably why it isn't shifting)
That also tells me that the trans is probably being made worse by messing with it before the problem is found and fixed.
Which also tells me this could cost you a trans rebuild AND a converter from trash going through it.

Your Wife is going to love that.

Best wait until you have informed help with that thing or you could make things a lot worse. (more expensive)

Then disconnect the Lokar and wire the kd all the way back and test it.

If yer wife's still upset you want fer us to talk to her?

That tells me that it needs more fluid pressure to not slip, and that isn't very comforting because either the fluid is leaking out of something inside, or the pump is not capable of putting out the pressure it needs.(also probably why it isn't shifting)
That also tells me that the trans is probably being made worse by messing with it before the problem is found and fixed.
Which also tells me this could cost you a trans rebuild AND a converter from trash going through it.

Your Wife is going to love that.

Best wait until you have informed help with that thing or you could make things a lot worse. (more expensive)

I'm going to disconnect the external trans cooler, and see what happens when the trans lines are only hooked up to the radiator. I had an external cooler before, and hooked this new one up the same way as the old one, this new one is just a touch bigger than the old one.

I'm going to disconnect the external trans cooler, and see what happens when the trans lines are only hooked up to the radiator. I had an external cooler before, and hooked this new one up the same way as the old one, this new one is just a touch bigger than the old one.

Ok
I have done all I can unless there is new information beside pulling the pan and filter.
You are just wasting your time doing anything else.

Ok
I have done all I can unless there is new information beside pulling the pan and filter.
You are just wasting your time doing anything else.

I am doing that as well, hopefully I'll have it off after I finish this sammich.

Thanks so much for all of the help thus far.

Doc - seems like you have covered everything pretty good so far, while its still a major mystery, since you changed both the external cooler and the lines check them both to make sure they are clear, also check the fittings at the transmission. I still have more to learn about the pressure effects on the trans but maybe a plugged line or cooler could be the culprit - I have seen things like coolers that didn't get the shipping caps or plugs removed before install and it really sucks

good luck

I hate red rain...
All over the tools, clothes and in my hair.

Doc - seems like you have covered everything pretty good so far, while its still a major mystery, since you changed both the external cooler and the lines check them both to make sure they are clear, also check the fittings at the transmission. I still have more to learn about the pressure effects on the trans but maybe a plugged line or cooler could be the culprit - I have seen things like coolers that didn't get the shipping caps or plugs removed before install and it really sucks

good luck

I didnt change the cooler lines. Same lines as were already there and hooked up the same way.

Try what @CudaFactHackJob recommended.

Disconnect the Lokar cable from the transmission. Tie/ wire back the throttle pressure lever on the transmission all the way back. Try driving the car.

That will tell all.

-
Back