Unexplainable Transmission Stutter... help?

-
I already dropped the pan... sorry

20200418_171152.jpg

20200418_171734.jpg

20200418_171753.jpg

20200418_171810.jpg

20200418_171832.jpg

20200418_171837.jpg

Try what @CudaFactHackJob recommended.

Disconnect the Lokar cable from the transmission. Tie/ wire back the throttle pressure lever on the transmission all the way back. Try driving the car.

That will tell all.

When he tightens the TP cable, it moves without the shudder, but won't shift from first gear. Wiring it back will likely result in the same..

As @TrailBeast mentioned, that makes it sound like a pressure issue which could suggest a couple things.

Doc, you're on the right track with the pan off. First look at the pan and see if there's any parts, glitter, sludge etc. The filter looks pretty average right now. If the pan doesn't have a ton of garbage in it, next step is to remove the filter and take note of whether it's tight or not.

Once that's off, you can see if the valve body (transmission brain) is loose or not. Once you get that far, it's time for more education as far as how to remove the valve body and do some additional diagnosing steps/checks.

The cam change and other work is probably unrelated to this issue... Sometimes stuff just happens with bad timing.

I hate red rain...
All over the tools, clothes and in my hair.

One of my buddies had a chevy truck that suddenly wouldn't shift.
I told him it was likely the governor and that he needed to pop the cap off that TH350 and pull the governor to check it.
Well, he jumped under there and popped the cover off while he was laying right under it.:D
It just never occurred to me to have to tell him, but he took about a cup of fluid right in the face.
I couldn't help but laugh, but he was so exited that the governor drive gear was just stripped and it's a cheap easily available part that he didn't even get pissed about the fluid.

Sorry to tell you, that thing is burning up.
I can tell just by the filter and fluid, because the black areas on the filter are where burnt clutch dust went through it.
If no extensive metal in the pan you are probably just looing at whats called a soft parts rebuild. (Sealing rings and rubber, clutch discs and steels and that sort of stuff.
(((Maybe not a converter, yet)))

Unless you decide to do a full rebuild and upgrade, then sleep on the couch.:poke::lol:

Heres the pan... and the filter... dont think it looks so great...

@Phreakish yes more education is needed, I have on my phone the link to the torqueflite handbook by Carl Munroe... I'm going to have to get this car to sit a little higher so my buddy who is a walking talking awesome looking mopar manual. Hope hes not upset I broke something lol.

20200418_175153.jpg

20200418_174728.jpg

20200418_174919.jpg

20200418_174941.jpg

20200418_175002.jpg

20200418_175035.jpg

20200418_175051.jpg

20200418_175107.jpg

It's a daunting task, but given what you've don't with that car already you'll be a transmission tech in no time ;)

Nothing in a transmission is "hard", it's just more work. Get some GOOD snap ring pliers (don't ever touch any of them which have replaceable tips, they suck suck suck). Hardest part (for me) was compressing the clutch pistons. I wound up not touching the lip seals (you'll learn what those are) because I couldn't get to them, but I bodged it together because I knew I wanted a 4 speed anyway. I recommend not skipping anything in your overhaul though..

Also keep everything super clean. Medically clean..

It's a daunting task, but given what you've don't with that car already you'll be a transmission tech in no time ;)

Nothing in a transmission is "hard", it's just more work. Get some GOOD snap ring pliers (don't ever touch any of them which have replaceable tips, they suck suck suck). Hardest part (for me) was compressing the clutch pistons. I wound up not touching the lip seals (you'll learn what those are) because I couldn't get to them, but I bodged it together because I knew I wanted a 4 speed anyway. I recommend not skipping anything in your overhaul though..

Also keep everything super clean. Medically clean..

I think I'm going to be borrowing the tools for this job...

Anyone have a 2500 stall converter I can borrow as well?!

how are 70aarcuda's trans rebuilding ninja skills? looks like your going to get some lessons. also, a stock converter is relatively cheep. there's no way i'm dropping the trans for a rebuild and not putting a fresh one in.

how are 70aarcuda's trans rebuilding ninja skills? looks like your going to get some lessons. also, a stock converter is relatively cheep. there's no way i'm dropping the trans for a rebuild and not putting a fresh one in.

Well he builds the transmissions in his race cars so I would assume they are way better than my trans building skills.

Yea well I'll have to find an affordable converter. I'll start hunting

Heres the pan... and the filter... dont think it looks so great...

@Phreakish yes more education is needed, I have on my phone the link to the torqueflite handbook by Carl Munroe... I'm going to have to get this car to sit a little higher so my buddy who is a walking talking awesome looking mopar manual. Hope hes not upset I broke something lol.

Pretty much exactly what I expected to see.
Those little black chunks and flakes are clutch material.
Fluid smells a bit like a campfire doesn't it?

Pretty much exactly what I expected to see.
Those little black chunks and flakes are clutch material.
Fluid smells a bit like a campfire doesn't it?

No fluid smelt like trans fluid, not to much of a burnt smell. I can send some in the mail if you want to smell it, you're probably better at diagnosing it via smell than me though :poke::rofl:

No fluid smelt like trans fluid, not to much of a burnt smell. I can send some in the mail if you want to smell it, you're probably better at diagnosing it via smell than me though :poke::rofl:

You can send some, but not until you taste it and report back.:lol:

Just dont confuse it with the sample you are sending to the doctor...

Young feller worked at the shop, doing trans service. Took all the bolts out and immediately turned his back on it. Pan dropped and painted him from back of his head to his heels. Henceforth named “spillypants”

smells best first thing in the morning when you have a bad hangover :eek:

yes, mark it before you loosen it so you don't get mixed up. That fluid really looks pretty good to me, and not that much debris. Looks like moisture in the fluid somewhat tho; like the car sat for a long time. White pressure regulator spring and adjustment clocked way up.

really seems odd that you had a working transmission and with nothing done besides a fluid adjustment it would all go to crap - I assume your still going to check cooler lines and external cooler for obstructions - this sucks for you - maybe go buy the wife some diamond earings today before you get the parts for the car, distractions work sometimes LOL

or just tell her its for the kids

Last edited:
That filter does not look that bad IF the transmission has a lot of hours on it. If its a fairly fresh rebuild it may be an issue. There will always be some debris in the pan to some extent. If that trans has been slipping the fluid will have a distinct smell to it. Kinda hard to miss.

Yup go to a nice jewelry store and buy some diamond earrings like was suggested. Just make sure they're close in description as some $9.99 WalMart copies. Then return the expensive ones and accidentally leave the expensive receipt in the bottom of the box when you present them to her..

Yup go to a nice jewelry store and buy some diamond earrings like was suggested. Just make sure they're close in description as some $9.99 WalMart copies. Then return the expensive ones and accidentally leave the expensive receipt in the bottom of the box when you present them to her..

I used to pick up all the high end jewelry store boxes I could find at work. People would ask what I wanted them for. My reply, was I take them and put Walmart jewelry in them for the ol lady... She never knew the difference

yes, mark it before you loosen it so you don't get mixed up. That fluid really looks pretty good to me, and not that much debris. Looks like moisture in the fluid somewhat tho; like the car sat for a long time. White pressure regulator spring and adjustment clocked way up.

The car did sit for a long while in the middle of the desert.

I used to pick up all the high end jewelry store boxes I could find at work. People would ask what I wanted them for. My reply, was I take them and put Walmart jewelry in them for the ol lady... She never knew the difference

These are quite possibly the greatest things I've heard :thankyou: the wife already said she expects a vacation, a warm tropical vacation... she added that she would like this vacation to feature no kids and no husband either :rofl: I told her she better be careful she might come home to a second mopar in the garage if she leaves on a vacation for to long. :p

-
Back