Unorthodox methods?

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
I was thinking of my Dad the other day. Rip. He was a mechanic throughout the fifties and sixties before teaching mechanics in a High School in the seventies.
He never taught anything unorthodox as teacher but at home I always remembering him boiling Carburetors in a pot of water for hours before rebuilding them. He said it won't hurt any o-rings and cleans out the passages good. Not sure if this was the norm back then.
It kind of gave me an idea of other people's unorthodox methods.
Watcha got?

No Bites?
Example I use a BMX gooseneck with longer bolts to clamp on my torsion bar for removal.

Depending on the goose neck it may be worth WAY more money than the actual torsion bar tool..!! Great idea none the less…..Swingn’

Mt kid says I don't do anything the "normal way" but I'm so used to it nothing sticks out as unorthodox to me.

The one that freaked him out the most was when I told him I used pieces of my erector set to make kickdown linkage for my super six swap as a teenager.

When I worked in an exhaust shop pipe was free. I built more seel/bearing drivers than I could shake a stick at.
Inner tie rod sockets and 4wd wheel bearing sockets as well.

I built an engine support to hold up the engine in front drive cars so I could remove trannies and cross members. I built a prybar from a Ford ranger tie rod that turned to be a phenomenal pry bar.

Of all of it all I have left is an outer tie rod socket made of exhaust pipe,a socket and a metric ton of mig wire.

I always took pride in what I could build versus what I bought.

We once rebuilt every aspect of a 73 Ford Ford pickup with no 73 Ford parts. Just whatever was laying in the shop.

I can remember my dad using us kids swing set to pull the engine in the family station wagon !

I can remember my dad using us kids swing set to pull the engine in the family station wagon !
My grandpa had a block and tackle up in the limb of a massive oak tree.
It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that probably wasn't the best idea.

Must have been like my swing set as a kid. My dad made it with black iron pipe.

How about this? :realcrazy:

Lift 2.jpg

Lift 3.jpg

1723044521218.png

I reinforced this oak limb with a doubled up tow strap back to the trunk. Like the previous post, I think it just a matter of researching tensile strength vs force and doing a little math...right? I actually had to stand on the 340 and crank my come-along up into the tree BTW. wife made me get an engine hoist/crane...But the madness continues...

C037C103-13B0-4C25-8EB5-7D6E8ACF7910.jpeg

-
Back