Using 65 Newport BBP set up on my Dart?

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
Any reason I can't use the drums and backing plates from a 65 Newport donor car with my A-Body 8 3/4" if I get new A-body spec big bolt pattern axles?

if you have the new axles made with BBP B/C/E or truck/van spacing then you should be good.

most (if not all) C-barges came with gargantuan 11" drums that are heavy and some of the brake hardware/shoes can difficult to get a hold of and can be spendy. so just know that going in.

10”x2-1/2” set ups from a Dakota are easy to find from the junk yard. Backing plates and all hardware except e brake cables work. If you score a Dakota with 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Then the drums fit too. Just let the axle maker know this is the brakes you’re using. I don’t know why that is relevant. Sorry.

The only issue I can foresee is the style of rear end- I forget exactly what year the B & C bodies went from tapered axle shafts to the flanged axles- it was '64 or '65, I believe. I don't think drums from a tapered axle rear will work. Flanged axle drums should be fine.

Were the Chrysler Newports 5 on 5 lug pattern or was that exclusive to the Imperial line?

The only issue I can foresee is the style of rear end- I forget exactly what year the B & C bodies went from tapered axle shafts to the flanged axles- it was '64 or '65, I believe. I don't think drums from a tapered axle rear will work. Flanged axle drums should be fine.
65 *should* be non-taper standard flange axles.

Were the Chrysler Newports 5 on 5 lug pattern or was that exclusive to the Imperial line?
to my understanding the 5 on 5 pattern was exclusive to the imperials. i just worked on a newport and it was for chure 5 on 4.5 lugs

edited on account of me being a doofus. but really i blame the heat.

Last edited:
To the best of my semi-delusional knowledge, it was just the Imperials.
to my understanding the 5 on 5 pattern was exclusive to the imperials. i just worked on a newport and it was for chure 5 on 4 lugs
Five on 4 1/2, doofus! :) JK

if you have the new axles made with BBP B/C/E or truck/van spacing then you should be good.

most (if not all) C-barges came with gargantuan 11" drums that are heavy and some of the brake hardware/shoes can difficult to get a hold of and can be spendy. so just know that going in.
what's a half inch between friends?

(imma go back and edit)
Thanks for all the replies fellas! Looks like I have options!
My donor stuff is def 5 x 4.5 and although I haven't looked at em in a bit I do believe the axles are tapered. I'll snap some pics of em in the next few days and post.

My donor stuff is def 5 x 4.5 and although I haven't looked at em in a bit I do believe the axles are tapered. I'll snap some pics of em in the next few days and post.
if there's a big nut on the end, they're tapered.

Like this pic I stole from Moparts:
1722484374984.png

*edited because I screwed up the pic*

Last edited:
Here's the axles and backing plates from the 65 Newport......looks like the brake bits should clean up.

2273A796-0661-402F-A59B-44CA485799A9.jpeg

7A432089-5C53-4CEF-8DA4-004271E508F9.jpeg

1CABFD4A-CB9B-4B35-90AE-DF9D7FD272A0.jpeg

Less expensive than getting new ones Professor? What kinda shop would handle?
Cost of new ones have come down considerably over the years, so it's not done a lot anymore- but considering current supply chain issues and parts never being in stock anymore, it is still a viable option. Maybe not for a track car, but they do very well in a street-street/strip car as long as they're still in good shape.
Just about any decent machine shop should be able to handle it, I've had several done locally in the past. I even had a special broach made for this (cutting new splines), but most shops aren't going to have a broach machine anymore. They can be cut on a mill easy enough.
Moser (as well as others) also offer a cut/respline service.

measure the brake shoe width. those look like 11 x 2. you can still find some parts for them but some are expensive. i just bought dr diff axles for my "a" body stock width dana 60 and they were 349.00 to the door. if he gets the housing and axles shortened he should be ok.

-
Back