using bullets vs flowmasters

-

bluefish

mopar dave
Reaction score
anyone ever experiment at the track with different exhaust? i'm now using an x pipe with 40 series flowmasters behind a 600hp 408 and i would like to try using dynomax bullets on 9" header extentions without x pipe to get more power. anyone here ever done this with an improvement?

Ive never personally done this, but have heard of guys picking up about a tenth or more from changing from the average flowmaster 40's to a straight through like a dynomax ultra flow...i would assume even more from a bullet, since all it is really is a resonator to knock off a few db's from open headers...Dont know if this is a street/strip car, but bullets on the street are going to be loud- Something i like but not sure if you do and not sure how often you drive your car on the street...its also illegal, so if you know that the blue shirts in your area are a bunch of douches, be careful

thanks for the responce here. i do drive the car on the street and thought i might go with 23" bullets to cut some of the noise. i'll be able to shed a few pounds and pick up a few ponys. sounds like a win win situation to me.

if you do go the bullets route please post up some sound clips of how she sounds and how loud it is...how often do you drive it on the street? is it more of a strip car? whats the setup on her?

2-4 decibals for the Dynomax Bullets. Will sound good but will be loud. Your only planning on drag racing though right? May be too loud for a daily driver. (decibal rating is from Summit racing) Definitely will have flow, it is basically a large diameter glass pack. Usually us 40 series flowmasters on cars people drive daily, nice sound without being overwhelming. There are race series flowmasters in fact people have been comparing the 10 series flowmaster with the Dynomax bullet. May want to do some research and see what your options are, you can find something that will give flow without haveing way too much sound. I am not saying one is better than the other, so you know:)
http://www.google.com/search?source...e=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS268US269&q=flowmaster

yes, it is primarily a street car. pump gas 408 with a comp solid roller 258/264@50-.650/.650 at the valve,heads flow 330@.700, prosystems 1000hp, 1 7/8 tti's, 4500 stall 9.5 ptc, 727, 4.10, 28" drag radial. i just installed a trans brake and i'm looking for 10.50's this season. i'm also installing a wilwood front brake kit to shed more weight.

Here is a comparison chart that VOETOM posted not to long ago. You can compare various mufflers with X-pipe and without. The last numbers show the loudness at different RPMS.

Sorry bullets wasn't listed.

I have Flo 40s but after seeing this chart I am sold on the Dynomax "Welded" Ultra flows. More flow with less noise compared to the flow 40s.

silentpower2.JPG

yes, it is primarily a street car. pump gas 408 with a comp solid roller 258/264@50-.650/.650 at the valve,heads flow 330@.700, prosystems 1000hp, 1 7/8 tti's, 4500 stall 9.5 ptc, 727, 4.10, 28" drag radial. i just installed a trans brake and i'm looking for 10.50's this season. i'm also installing a wilwood front brake kit to shed more weight.

with that combo i dont know if you want bullets...i love a loud car, and trust me when i say i would love to have bullets on my street strip car even though its going to be 95% street...the reality is though, although i dont know exactly how much street driving you do, if you do enough it will become annoying...I think you should try the oval case dynomax ultra flows...They flow very well and are pretty loud as well, and if you dont like how they sound or perform dynomax gives you your money back in 90 days...or you could try Borla xr-1's, which flow better than straight pipes and are loud as well, but not as loud as a race bullet...Whichever you choose, let us know and give us some sound clips to hear:toothy10:....for its between the borla and dynomax, since both flow awesome- difference is that the borlas are more expensive and louder, but im just not sure if they will be too loud

good luck

I run an x pipe(summit) with oval ultraflows and tti tailpipes 2 1/2". Have cut outs before the x. Nice rumble at idle, not real loud under full go! Car runs the same at the track thru full exhaust or open cutouts..That's behind a mild eddy headed 360 w/hooker super comps..

Pretty radical street car, you definitely need something with plenty of flow. Quiet is not an option when it comes to something like this. May want to check out noise ordinances or just dodge the cops:) LOL

ok, maybe i should try the borla's. i'v often wondered what they sound like.

the borlas are pretty nice mufflers...one of the only clips i have heard is a guy i know on youtube has a 427 yenko chevelle street car with them and it sounds awesome...but i havent heard any in person...i have heard alot though from corvette, camaro lt1 guys and some import guys that the borla stuff is loud- and if you like loud like me, then they seem to be a perfect fit

I run an x pipe(summit) with oval ultraflows and tti tailpipes 2 1/2". Have cut outs before the x. Nice rumble at idle, not real loud under full go! Car runs the same at the track thru full exhaust or open cutouts..That's behind a mild eddy headed 360 w/hooker super comps..

Hey bob, maybe its just me but i havent seen you around for a while here...the scamp is in the bodyshop right now awaiting her colour...all the work i did payed off and i appreciate all the help...as far as your dart goes, you say its not loud under full go? are these the mufflers that you have...
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...922710+4294906121+4294786757+115&autoview=sku

i was talking to another guy with a big block nova and he told me that with these mufflers his car is very loud...they do flow good though that is a gurantee

Matthew,
Glad to hear your Scamp is nearing paint!!! What color did you finally decide on??? The mufflers I have are the oval version of those. Maybe since they have an offset inlet and out makes them quieter??? My buddy had a bullet on his ram and it was loud as hell!!!!!! My Dart gets a loud high pitched sound to it. It doesn't sound anything like my buddies small block cars????
I've been around, posted on occasion. Been somewhat focused on trying to get a new challenger. Unfortunately that might mean selling the Dart???
Keep me posted on your scamp..

Bob

hey Bob,
I decided on the snakeskin green pearl for sure, with a flat black hood, snorkel scoop, and bumblebee stripe. Im very excited to see it in one colour- a culmination of all the work i have put into her, and then reassembly so i can drive the wheels off...I guess the case of the mufflers does make a difference- I can just imagine how loud your bud's ram is with bullets since they dont really knock much off of open header noise...Are you happy with the way your dart sounds,or you looking for something different? Do you know anyone whos running the borla mufflers on their cars and whether they like them or not? a new challenger sounds like fun, but selling the dart? oh no lol well i hope it works out that you get to keep both- im sure you'll have blast with either car...those new challengers are definatly cool cars

i think the borla xr-1's may be what i'm looking for. as for noise, i only drive the car for 20-30 minutes at a time, so noise may noise be an issue. i like the way the engine sounds with open header extentions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCZAaN7fFLg

that cuda sounds plenty healthy with those open headers, and it looks beautiful too...When you get those borla's on it, or whatever you choose id love to see or hear a clip to give me an idea of what they sound like on a small block mopar

it will be late in the season when i do it. i'm hoping to get some track video as well. thanks

I'm happy with the sound, it's different. Too many cars have that 5.0 flowmaster sound!!!!! No one I know is running borlas.Can't wait to see pix of your car done... Are you going to make Carlisle this year????
As far as the new challenger goes....my son-in-law bought a 5.7 auto which I drove!!! I made the mistake of taking a 6 speed out for a test drive!!!! It ran awesome stock, can't imagine with a few upgrades??? The 6.1 must really run..
Bob

I agree with the whole flowmaster thing (or chokemasters as my brother calls them lol)...Everyone has them, especially the fox body guys...Im excited to see my scamp in colour as it will definatly be unique...Hopefully my car will have a unique sound to it as well...I dont think i will make it to carlisle this year as my school year got messed up from a strike pushing back the date i get to drive the car since i cant work on it as soon...that challenger must be heaps of fun- i can just imagine why you are addicted now lol...if you end up with one make sure you post some pics of it up!

the challengers look like real nice cars. i don't think i'll make the big show, never been there. a friend of mine go's every year.

I'm running fenderwell headers with 3" Dynomax 14" bullets and short dumps. Should be nice and quiet for the street, don'tcha think?

I'm running fenderwell headers with 3" Dynomax 14" bullets and short dumps. Should be nice and quiet for the street, don'tcha think?

is that sarcasm? lol do you have any sound clips or your car running that you would like to post for us to hear?

do you plan on running these on the street?

-
Back