Using cast iron exhaust manifold question

-

ssba

Reaction score
I am working on a car I have decided to use a pair of truck cast iron exhaust manifolds.
Mostly because these happen to fit where every header I had laying around wouldn't.
My question is pertaining to the spring controlled heat riser thats only on one of the manifolds. It does move free and doesn't have a loose pivot bore that I am worried about leaking . Should I cut it out or leave it alone.
My guess is it is there to push heat up into the intake manifold.
My intake has heat block off plates since it is the early 60s longram tubes.
Will this weighted butterfly just make noise or is it benifical in some way I am not seeing? I'm thinking of cutting it out and installing pipe plugs in the pivot pin bores to seal it up.

IMG_20170202_155824_829.jpg

IMG_20170202_164914_150.jpg

Its sonOramic. Dude thats cool. Only seen a long horn crossram in books, and in an old johan 68 300 model i built.

Its for a heat riser for preventing cold start idle issues, and carb icing in cold damp weather. If your sonOramic doesnt have heat risers which i can see they obviously dont, i guess you can cut it off, or why not wire it full open. You may eventually change to a different manifold later on for a different reason, then you will wish you had not cut it off.

Because your intake heat is blocked your heat valve in the manifold is useless . Option #1. braze the butterfly in the open position . #2. remove butterfly and plug holes where the shaft was . #3. do nothing and it may stick closed and/or it may rattle . I think all options are o.k.. Later, Tom

Thanks guys, I think I'll cut it out and plug it so it
won't leak or rattle down the road.
New problem, In the top picture you can see the long nuts that hold
these on. I am missing two if someone reading this has some spares.

Just went through myself. There are bushings in the manifold where the shaft goes through. If the bushing stays put, tap it 1/8" NPT. If the bushing comes out, you can drill it 7/16" and tap it 1/4" NPT.

Put my Barracudas on hold again due to no parts money. This is a 56 DeSoto. Been collecting dust for a decade, trying to get a little further on it. Working on the exhaust today.

2012-10-01_08-31-40_193-1 (1).jpg

Thanks, one of my never ending projects.
Ten years or so ago I decided to put a 440 in it.
Then a Dana, then a 4-speed. Time to make it driveable again.

I agree dont try to weld cast as its a tedious process. A lot easier to just cut it off, tap both sides and get some nice Allen head threaded plugs and seal the holes off, thats what i did

That's what I ended up doing. I used a couple lifter gally pipe plugs from the back of a big block. They were 3/8 npt.
The cast iron was very easy to drill and tap.

Plus it looks factory, im sure its possible to weld the cast but with all the pre heating procedures its a pain in the a55.

If your looking for a recommendation on paint id recommend cast blast sold by eastwood

Yes going to paint them. Waiting for a dry day to sand blast them outside. I will probably paint the pipes and mufflers also. Cleaning up some old takeoff mufflers
and fabricating some hangers now.

IMG_20170207_233207_853.jpg

IMG_20170207_233327_691.jpg

-
Back