UTG -The Mighty 318

-
One thing I cant follow, is he said he built the bottle rocket engine for 14 dollars....around here, 6 qts of oil and a filter kill that...not to mention his 1000 dollar roller cam setup it has. I cant understand his way of thinking on that.

He sold parts to off set the cost. Donations have been possibly accepted. But I don’t know for sure. Ether way, donations or not, once he started in on the vehicle, anything not part of the go fast program that could be sold, was sold, which off sets the cost.

Is a 318/2bbl intake and carb worth anything?
What ever it sold for, that is just that much less off the total price. Even if he sold that for $20, the carb and intake, that amount comes off the total cost of the engine since that’s $20 less out of your wallet to purchase what ever item is needed next.

This is something most of us do.

One thing I cant follow, is he said he built the bottle rocket engine for 14 dollars....around here, 6 qts of oil and a filter kill that...not to mention his 1000 dollar roller cam setup it has. I cant understand his way of thinking on that.
actually, he said "minus the valve train, cam, carb and intake". So the heads and block is what he was talking about. When he said "like I said", he was referencing another video where he made that clear.

I'm amazed at how much UTG is misquoted. 2nd time in this thread alone

Last edited:
actually, he said "minus the valve train, cam, carb and intake". So the heads and block is what he was talking about.

I'm amazed at how much UTG is misquoted. 2nd time in this thread alone
I did not catch him mention that, if so, that definitely explains it. Its sorta like the magazine engine builds where they leave out tons of stuff to make it sound like a "budget" build

The intake was purchased during a UTG Live. The cam and parts were purchased outright, IIRC. IDK about the carb.

I did not catch him mention that, if so, that definitely explains it. Its sorta like the magazine engine builds where they leave out tons of stuff to make it sound like a "budget" build
He recently said how much he had into the whole car, and I forget the actual number but it was like 3700 or something. He now has a 8.75 with 4.56 gears if I remember correctly. I think he had it into high 13's according to the last 1/8 mile time. And keep in mind he calls this motor the mule motor and has said from the beginning he plans on blowing up 2 or 3 of the 318's to get to his final destination.... 10 second pass on a lot of NOS.

I am aware of all that.....his whole stated goal was to run 10s in the 1/4 mile with that engine and setup...he went into a lot of detail of why he used the little rear end, overdrive 4 speed and all. But he kinda keeps moving the goalpost...no doubt if he changes enough of the mismatched junk, he COULD eventually get it to run tens, but its pig slow so far. Gotta remember, it's just entertainment, definitely NOT a how-to series!

I am aware of all that.....his whole stated goal was to run 10s in the 1/4 mile with that engine and setup...he went into a lot of detail of why he used the little rear end, overdrive 4 speed and all. But he kinda keeps moving the goalpost...no doubt if he changes enough of the mismatched junk, he COULD eventually get it to run tens, but its pig slow so far. Gotta remember, it's just entertainment, definitely NOT a how-to series!
LOL... I'm not a UTG campaign guy... LOL. but again, we need to keep the record straight and STOP the FAKE NEWS :D :D
  • I have followed Bottle Rocket closely as, you have stated, because it's entertaining. UTG stated from the very beginning, they planned on breaking parts and blowing up motors and this is how they will find the weak links and get to his goal. Tony has been very consistent with that line.
  • He broke the rear end so he upgraded.
  • He slipped the clutch, so he had the pressure plate tuned
  • Now, he's made it plain, even in this last 318 video he plans on blowing the motor up as he pushes it further and further

LOL... I'm not a UTG campaign guy... LOL. but again, we need to keep the record straight and STOP the FAKE NEWS :D :D
  • I have followed Bottle Rocket closely as, you have stated, because it's entertaining. UTG stated from the very beginning, they planned on breaking parts and blowing up motors and this is how they will find the weak links and get to his goal. Tony has been very consistent with that line.
  • He broke the rear end so he upgraded.
  • He slipped the clutch, so he had the pressure plate tuned
  • Now, he's made it plain, even in this last 318 video he plans on blowing the motor up as he pushes it further and further

You know...I think I actually watched a video of that car make some passes. I don’t recall anyone called lamb chop but I know whoever it was cant drive a lick. I also don’t remember UT verbally abusing anyone, but I may not have seen the video where that occurred.

What I do know is UT is woefully behind on clutch tuning.

I cannot understand what there's not to like about bottle rocket. A guy takes a car HEADED FOR THE JUNKYARD... (remember??) and throws a budget 318 in there, installs a 4 speed, and now 4.56 gears. He's taken it to the track, documented the progression, and for the love of me I don't understand why some people would have rather seen it get recycled into a Honda Fit. :rolleyes:

You know...I think I actually watched a video of that car make some passes. I don’t recall anyone called lamb chop but I know whoever it was cant drive a lick. I also don’t remember UT verbally abusing anyone, but I may not have seen the video where that occurred.

What I do know is UT is woefully behind on clutch tuning.
Tony and Lamchops problem was all about talk on LC's channel and Tony feeling disrespected. I don't really know or care to find out. I don't have time for Soaps. As for me, I will always have 10 minutes to watch UTG make a pass in Bottle Rocket. Free entertainment :D

I cannot understand what there's not to like about bottle rocket. A guy takes a car HEADED FOR THE JUNKYARD... (remember??) and throws a budget 318 in there, installs a 4 speed, and now 4.56 gears. He's taken it to the track, documented the progression, and for the love of me I don't understand why some people would have rather seen it get recycled into a Honda Fit. :rolleyes:

Since you watch I’ll ask you. Why didn’t UT drive the car?? The guy I watched needed a powerglide. He just wasn’t a stick guy. I don’t even remember what the ET was be he was a second or more slow due to his driving.

Tony and Lamchops problem was all about talk on LC's channel and Tony feeling disrespected. I don't really know or care to find out. I don't have time for Soaps. As for me, I will always have 10 minutes to watch UTG make a pass in Bottle Rocket. Free entertainment :D

Well that makes more sense. The one video I watched UT didn’t verbally or physically abuse anyone. So that makes sense.

Since you watch I’ll ask you. Why didn’t UT drive the car?? The guy I watched needed a powerglide. He just wasn’t a stick guy. I don’t even remember what the ET was be he was a second or more slow due to his driving.
The idea behind it was to build it in a storage shed or on the dirt like any good ole' boy could do. Then, take a guy that's never raced a stick and grassroots him into driving/racing a car like this into the 10's

Because the car is a undesirable model year with 4 doors and a undersized people moved 318 backed by the wrong transmission all used for the wrong purpose in the wrong way “As they see it.”

And nothing more. Unless you add in the live 318 build where it turned into a debacle in which I don’t place all the blame on UT. It was Lunar Outlaws responsibility to have his ducks in order for this build and they were not!

UT scrambled to get the parts and job done on the spot.

The funniest thing is, while there were a lot of stones thrown, I gave anyone who threw a big stone a challenge for them to do better. No one has the balls to step up.

How to gain the most fun for the fewest bucks.
Anyone with lots of $$$$ can buy lots of fun, but what IF you do not have all that $$$$ to throw around?

The idea behind it was to build it in a storage shed or on the dirt like any good ole' boy could do. Then, take a guy that's never raced a stick and grassroots him into driving/racing a car like this into the 10's

Ok, that explains why he didn’t drive. If I was doing it I would have taken LC out of the street for several hours (like 10 hours) and taught him how to leave and shift before he got to the track. That would have been much easier on the driver.

How to gain the most fun for the fewest bucks.
Anyone with lots of $$$$ can buy lots of fun, but what IF you do not have all that $$$$ to throw around?
I agree with his. It’s not easy going fast on a near zero budget and even more so when you have the world Criticizing! Every last move you make on your endeavor.

I’ve been down this road a few times. I just got to the point and say it once, “I don’t have a lot of money for all the instant mods you say I need to do, but you can help me more than criticism galore and throw some money into my hat for parts.”

It’s normally met with a lot of FU’s!!!! And F$&@ Off! Replies. I just have to laugh it off.

Ok, that explains why he didn’t drive. If I was doing it I would have taken LC out of the street for several hours (like 10 hours) and taught him how to leave and shift before he got to the track. That would have been much easier on the driver.
Right. And I don't care how much of the car is wrong or right, it's free entertainment from my couch!! LOL... i personally think the car is cool. He is also building a slant six to race. He just got the engine together. John Wilburn is building the 904 and is making a video of it on his channel. The slant six car is called "Plan Z" and he has it gutted down to about 2100 lbs. He just now took about 70 lbs out of the slant 6. Funny and fun to watch.

Oh! That was missed. Good catch by 318WR.
Yea, LC had ZERO experience behind the wheel.

-
Back