UTG -The Mighty 318

-
According to the Wallace racing calculator, the bottle rocket at a race weight of 3080 lbs, and a 1/8th mile trap speed of 77 mph makes 219 horsepower. (Without nitrous) That's the "Hot 318" recipe he made a video about, but with a 1k roller cam setup added. "Mighty 318"

According to the Wallace racing calculator, the bottle rocket at a race weight of 3080 lbs, and a 1/8th mile trap speed of 77 mph makes 219 horsepower. (Without nitrous) That's the "Hot 318" recipe he made a video about, but with a 1k roller cam setup added. "Mighty 318"
I'm totally not trying to be an A hole or UTG basher however, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that stock hp numbers or below? I seem to think a 318 in stock form is or was rated at 235 hp.

The early rating was 230, when the industry changed the method of testing, it dropped to 150, BUUUUT the 318 magnum is rated at 235 with the more restrictive testing procedure.

You have to add his weight to the 3080. Is that crank or wheel HP ? Add that HP + 300 and that's what he's hoping will go 10.99

I think he needs a 13 flat 1/4 mile time on motor, then start spraying it to hog heaven.... LOL

You have to add his weight to the 3080. Is that crank or wheel HP ? Add that HP + 300 and that's what he's hoping will go 10.99
That is what he said it was with him in it. I dunno, I would think it's a bit heavier than that, but that's what he said. And the Wallace calculator is flywheel horsepower, subtract about 70 or so to get wheel horsepower

I'm totally not trying to be an A hole or UTG basher however, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that stock hp numbers or below? I seem to think a 318 in stock form is or was rated at 235 hp.
That was a gross rating. Once they switched to the net ratings in 1972, the essentially identical 318 was rated at 150 HP.

Tony's latest challenge was to the Roadkill Garage guys.....318 VS 318 with no new parts, just gaskets.
What idiot pulls a 50 year old engine apart and only replaces gaskets? What about rings and bearings? Oil pump? Timing chain? It is great to scrimp and spend money wisely but this poverty based ideology is some low rent, dirtbag stuff.
Why not allow a proper rebuild but with stock parts? No aluminum intakes, no headers, stock rocker arms, flat tappet cam, near stock compression.....
Also....That tussle that came about regarding the pistons and swapping them around to get the piston pin offset positioned for more power is another broke dick move. Who is so cheap that they are still using stock pistons? Seriously, THIS guy has a YouTube channel ? The comments section is chock full of adoring fanboys too. I like much of what he does but this bargain basement mentality is an embarrassment.

That was a gross rating. Once they switched to the net ratings in 1972, the essentially identical 318 was rated at 150 HP.

Tony's latest challenge was to the Roadkill Garage guys.....318 VS 318 with no new parts, just gaskets.
What idiot pulls a 50 year old engine apart and only replaces gaskets? What about rings and bearings? Oil pump? Timing chain? It is great to scrimp and spend money wisely but this poverty based ideology is some low rent, dirtbag stuff.
Why not allow a proper rebuild but with stock parts? No aluminum intakes, no headers, stock rocker arms, flat tappet cam, near stock compression.....
Also....That tussle that came about regarding the pistons and swapping them around to get the piston pin offset positioned for more power is another broke dick move. Who is so cheap that they are still using stock pistons? Seriously, THIS guy has a YouTube channel ? The comments section is chock full of adoring fanboys too. I like much of what he does but this bargain basement mentality is an embarrassment.

Could be wrong but think the point was who could make more with old school tricks ?

Easy now to order up a bunch of parts and make 400 plus hp. Yester year that was a lot out of a small block.

I won't spoil the video I'm currently putting together covering #318Fest which pertaining to this subject. However, I will spill the beans that the Mobile Dyno owner/operator got a call that his grandmother passed away and turned as soon as he got to town. I totally understood but the timing was just hard to grasp considering these questions where about to be answered! Tony didn't get a full pass so no MPH was relevant. I can confirm that he had the best 60 ft of all the 318s that ran..... that OD 4spd 1st gear can take most of the credit for the 1.67! I had issue too so I can't say much, but I did make the fastest N/A pass at a whopping 8.42 in the 1/8 with my Duster. (Drove the car for the first time the day before) As for The fastest overall 318.... well you will have to subscribe to our YouTube channel for that. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyU8UAW-HgyajUQa0gTrkrA

This is what I love about it all the controversies about UTG. All the bashing and he pulls the fastest 60ft time out of all the 318’s. Step back and think about that. There are some high dollar cars at 318fest and he shows up with a scrapper and pulls the dig away from everyone. I don’t care he didn’t make a full pass and if his motor only makes a 100hp, he just wipe his *** with the haters. The car will get sorted out eventually. If he hits his 10 sec mark and everyone gets to see what it takes to get there that’s a win. What I’m hearing is if you don’t have the money to do it right then don’t do it. Well screw that everyone gets to enjoying the enthusiasm in the hobby, no matter what it takes to get there.

^^^^ It all goes back to what hotrodding started from, the grass roots of it all.
It was not about who had the most $ to do it "right", but those that took what they had, honed their skills, and made more power with less $.

Just to be clear y'all are talking 10 sec 1/8? which would roughly equate to 15 sec 1/4 mile? sounds about right for a 318 B body IMO in stock trim. Also I ageree UTG is about running Junk. That is no fun IMO. or should I say it gets old quick.

take that kid in his latest video with the 65 Poly Plymouth. I would tell that kid without hesitation that the poly needs to go and get a 383 B engine.

Early hot rodding ,yes they worked with what they had, but then the factory developed actual performance engines. Dicking around with grocery getter engines is pissing into the wind with what we know and have available today. take hogging out 318 ports, can you hog the whole thing out all the way from the intake side to the bowl? if not then why not run a 360 head its a bigger casting. I understand money but time is also money IMO its more cost effective to run a bigger ported head IMO.

Last edited:
^^^Hotrodding started right after WW11, and her was little in the way of factory performance engines in the true sense. Yes some had more power or potential.
Take the current crop of poly 318 guys. People that enjoy the challenge of making more power with a head that they understand the limitations and potential of. Is it cost effective? Maybe not in $$ and cents to many. But they have the knowledge, the desire, and the $ to cast a better mousetrap and pay to have a little more for such. Is it smarter to dro the poly and add th 383? Maybe yes, but the kid already has the poly and maybe it an suit his needs?
Same can be said of the slant folks.

^^^Hotrodding started right after WW11, and her was little in the way of factory performance engines in the true sense. Yes some had more power or potential.
Take the current crop of poly 318 guys. People that enjoy the challenge of making more power with a head that they understand the limitations and potential of. Is it cost effective? Maybe not in $$ and cents to many. But they have the knowledge, the desire, and the $ to cast a better mousetrap and pay to have a little more for such. Is it smarter to dro the poly and add th 383? Maybe yes, but the kid already has the poly and maybe it an suit his needs?
Same can be said of the slant folks.
I wouldn't waste energy trying to make a utility engine into a performance engine is all I'm saying. Its just senseless dicking around and wasting time and $$$. Put a Edelbrock intake and carb on a 70s 2 barrel 318 why? if you do that you should do a cam also if you don't have the $$$ you are pissing into the wind. yeah you can say wrenching on a poly or LA 318 is fun but when you start talking about computed 1/4 mile based on 60 foot times it becomes hogwash. and bullshit is all I'm saying. Ya may as well race Briggs and Stratton lawnmowers and talk chit too.

I wouldn't waste energy trying to make a utility engine into a performance engine is all I'm saying. Its just senseless dicking around and wasting time and $$$. Put a Edelbrock intake and carb on a 70s 2 barrel 318 why? if you do that you should do a cam also if you don't have the $$$ you are pissing into the wind. yeah you can say wrenching on a poly or LA 318 is fun but when you start talking about computed 1/4 mile based on 60 foot times it becomes hogwash. and bullshit is all I'm saying. Ya may as well race Briggs and Stratton lawnmowers and talk chit too.
Do u see a jr. dragster in their future. Kim

Just to be clear y'all are talking 10 sec 1/8? which would roughly equate to 15 sec 1/4 mile? sounds about right for a 318 B body IMO in stock trim. Also I ageree UTG is about running Junk. That is no fun IMO. or should I say it gets old quick.

take that kid in his latest video with the 65 Poly Plymouth. I would tell that kid without hesitation that the poly needs to go and get a 383 B engine.

Early hot rodding ,yes they worked with what they had, but then the factory developed actual performance engines. Dicking around with grocery getter engines is pissing into the wind with what we know and have available today. take hogging out 318 ports, can you hog the whole thing out all the way from the intake side to the bowl? if not then why not run a 360 head its a bigger casting. I understand money but time is also money IMO its more cost effective to run a bigger ported head IMO.
10.99 quarter mile!! Kim

10.99 quarter mile!! Kim
I'll believe that when I see it. UTG is going to need the spray...corect me if Im wrong he hasnt done it yet just "calculations" right? As in run the 1/8 then do a calculation I am eferring to the BBR B body.

Do u see a jr. dragster in their future. Kim
I am just saying its that old argument that "its just as competetive" but at some point you want more. Junior drags are to get the kids into it so they grow up and run the big cars. Future top fuel. Gotta keep it going:)

Has anyone seen a video where UT is replacing that lower control arm bushing yet?

Last edited:
Could be wrong but think the point was who could make more with old school tricks ?

Easy now to order up a bunch of parts and make 400 plus hp. Yester year that was a lot out of a small block.
Swapping stock pistons......That is fine if it is 1980. There were fewer options then.

Yeah its tricks on the cheap but if you are for real racing you aren't running a 318 with stock flipped pistons. Think about how many numb skulls are out there pulling the engine to flip pistons after watching UTG or better yet doing it in the car...alot of work and not worth the cost of the gaskets IMO. RK guys were sort of right I'm thinking if they have the UTG fan club butthurt it is what it is...

Whatever happened to that spastic Youtuber who wore those small circular glasses? Is he still around? Maybe him and UT should have a build-off.

Whatever happened to that spastic Youtuber who wore those small circular glasses? Is he still around? Maybe him and UT should have a build-off.
I think Tony would want a build off that is high profile. For example if your channel is small and he cant get clicks he won't entertain the build off with you. That whole RK call out was about views and clicks and likes. I think I know who you are talking about but I forget his name he was a mechanic telling folks why certain cars are junk and whatnot. his videos started out with "start your engines!"...:)

I think Tony would want a build off that is high profile. For example if your channel is small and he cant get clicks he won't entertain the build off with you. That whole RK call out was about views and clicks and likes.

Oh, I get that. There's absolutely no reason or incentive for the RK guys to do it. That's why I think that goober with the glasses is more up UT's alley - whatever his name is.

Oh, I get that. There's absolutely no reason or incentive for the RK guys to do it. That's why I think that goober with the glasses is more up UT's alley - whatever his name is.
His name is drawing a total blank and ya knw what ? I think he relocated to Tennesee also. you are right it may work and they are both in the same state so the dyno on the same day same location should work logistically.

-
Back