Value of a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger

-

CNTLOSE

It is what it is.
Reaction score
I am a newbie on the site and I am looking at buying a Dart that is currently on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170484613614&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

To sum up the add the car is originally at 225 car and currenly has a "built" 318 and a 3 speed in her. '71 front end (Grill and hood.) and a '70 rear bumper. Car has been repainted and appears to be very straight. Interior appears to be in good shape with only a few small issues. Car also has drum brakes not the prefered disc brakes.

I really think this is a sharp car and the seller sounds like a great guy. But being I am new to the A-Body market not sure where this car value fits in.

So I would love some thoughts and opinions on her. Or better yet does someone know this car? Owner is the not the one who restored her so his info is somewhat limited.

Again I know I am a newbie and I am not trying to offend anyone...I know some sites look down at newbies that first want to know what something is worth. But after 20 years of really only dealing with 86 and up Mustangs I have no idea what this car is worth.

Thanks

I see a big red flag with this car. It looks like the entire dash has been replaced which includes the vin number and the fender tag is missing. Looks pretty shady to me. $7,500 opening bid seems a little high to me.

Welcome to FABO!!

I have a few concerns about that car too.
The Green Interior Vinyl parts and Seats are from a 1970 Dart Swinger,
The Dash and Steering Wheel look to be correct 1972 style.......

Not to hijack your thread but.....
Start with this 1970 Dart GT I am selling for a friend..... Paint it, build yourself a motor and tranny and have a REAL piece of mopar rarity:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=97550

Later,
Bruce B.

I see a big red flag with this car. It looks like the entire dash has been replaced which includes the vin number and the fender tag is missing. Looks pretty shady to me. $7,500 opening bid seems a little high to me.

I had thought about that too. The car was originally brown according to the title. So I wonder if the gold dash is original and the rest of the interior is from a donor car.

Do the Darts have the VIN stamped in the body somewhere I could ask for a photo of? Or is this the rear fender tag your speaking of? What area of the fender would the tag be at?

Thanks

Welcome to FABO!!

I have a few concerns about that car too.

Not to hijack your thread but.....
Start with this 1970 Dart GT I am selling for a friend..... Paint it, build yourself a motor and tranny and have a REAL piece of mopar rarity:

Later,
Bruce B.

Dont worry about the hijack...I know alot about Mustangs...these A-bodies I am lost on.

That car does look like a nice one to restore, but I am looking for one done or very close to it. I have 4 little ones with the oldest being 6 so my garage time is very limited these days.

Thanks

Engine swap, change just about the entire interior and paint the body and they couldn't paint the engine bay? Seems like a rush job to sell it. God knows what's hidden under that new paint.

There are several places to look for VIN numbers on '70's Darts/Mopars:
Dashboard,
Drivers Door Sticker,
Fender Tag (on Drivers side inner Fenderwell top),
Build Sheet,
Under Weatherstrip on Trunklip.

At the bare minimum the VIN on the Dash and the Title MUST match!
The more matching numbers items - the better in my opinion.
And then throw in a "Numbers Matching" Engine and Tranny.....
Best of all worlds!
But overrated - Also my opinion.

And Always always put your or a reliable persons hands on the car before you put ANY $$$$ down!
There are FABO members most everywhere that would check out a car for you for cheap or free.

I just hate it when someone gets with me on a Mopar they bought and I have to tell them they got screwed!!

Hope this helps!
Later,
Bruce B.

PS: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=97550

Engine swap, change just about the entire interior and paint the body and they couldn't paint the engine bay? Seems like a rush job to sell it. God knows what's hidden under that new paint.
The rear 1/4's do not look right, I know it has small tires on it but something does not look correct..I would stay away from this car, to many things look fishy..My 2 cents

Thank you guys for all the info. He sent me a photobucket link with more pictures, but I do not see a fender tag in them. I wrote him asking if it has one that I can not see...one pic looks like you can see the corner of one.

Now to help my knowlege on these cars...

Lets say it had the fender tag and everything else was the same. Drum car, original 225 now with a 318, etc... What would it be worth? I have been going over the classifieds and I see prices all over...depending on what they are of course. So please based on your knowledge what would a car like that go for?

Thanks again for all the great info...Keep it coming...

I would not go over $3,500.00 for that car IF:
Really runs and drives good,
All the documentation I mentiond above is present and correct.
New Paint scares me..... what did they cover up and why?
And like abodyjoe said: Why not the Engine Bay??? Yup, rush job.

Later,
Bruce B.

PS: 1970 Dodge Dart GT for sale!

I hear what everyone is saying but 7500. doesnt buy much. Underhood being black may just be a Chevy guy built it. And the 7500. opening bid just saves him from paying for a reserve.

He sent me a message stating the car does have a fender tag and the VIN matches the dash. I am going to start another thread asking for a volunteer to go look at it for me. He lives 8 hours one way from me and I hate to get there and find a turd.

Thanks everyone!

-
Back