Vent Window Operation

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
I am to young to really remember Vent Windows but I do not think mine are working correctly. When I open the vent window it does not lock in place it just free swings back and forth. Can someone give me some insight into the proper operation and any suggestions for fixing them?

Vent windows are one of the things I really miss on newer cars.
Regarding yours, they should neither "lock" in place nor should they flap in the breeze. There should be enough resistance to open them to just where you want them and they should stay there until physically moved.
I know there should be some way to adjust them but I don't know what it is.
Someone here will chime in with a fix for your "swingers".

they have a clip-- that holds the center bottom pivot in place--- if the screw is not tight your vent would be free swinging-- tighten that up & it should help.
problem not e-z to get to -- might be able to get to it through the door openings with the door panel removed.
Lawrence

The lower pivot extends a few inches downward into the door, and this length of the pivot pin, in its sleeve, is what provides the resistance to movement so the vent wing can be opened and it'll remain open at the angle you set despite the force of the wind as you drive. If yours flip freely and won't stay put, the lower pivot pin is probably broken off. You'd need to find a replacement lower vent wing frame with a good pivot pin.

There is a small wheel through a slot under the lower weatherstrip that adjusts like a star wheel on your brakes. From the 1966 manual: " The lower vent wing pivot is provided with a bracket-type pivot tension adjustment. The star wheel adjusting screw ratchet is used to reduce or increase effort required to close and open the vent wing. Use a narrow-bladed screwdriver to reach through a opening provided in weatherseal, just ahead of the lower pivot, to turn adjusting screws." It is pictured with the vent assembly out of the door. toolmanmike

-
Back