Very embarassing question

-

spycam

Reaction score
1920 Holley on a 1966 slant six. First time I attempted to pull it off.

I foolishly assumed the (gas pedal) throttle linkage would slide off the rubber gromet.

Any suggestions before I break anything ?

Thanks
SC

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

You will likely break the old insulator removing it. They get hard with age and break when you remove the linkage. I just take a flat blade screwdriver and pry it out.

What I find interesting is the placement of your throttle return spring. It's pulling the throttle open instead of closed.

I'm sorry, ignore the spring, it's actually off, it's a misleading picture. The spring is actually laying loose it's not attached to the linkage right now. It was attached to the other end.

Maybe if I use some WD-40 the linkage can slip off the insulator ?

You will likely break the old insulator removing it. They get hard with age and break when you remove the linkage. I just take a flat blade screwdriver and pry it out.

What I find interesting is the placement of your throttle return spring. It's pulling the throttle open instead of closed.

Heat gun on gromnet. Just warm not smoking.

I'm sorry, ignore the spring, it's actually off, it's a misleading picture. The spring is actually laying loose it's not attached to the linkage.

Well I've glad to know that. lol I would just get a new insulator. They are on Ebay.

Let it soak overnight with WD 40 or even better PB blaster. Those bushings get hard and crumbly. Pop the rod out of the carb not the carb off the rod. It only pops out like 1/4” and it’s free!

Not sure I understand how it's going to "pop" 1/4 in. You mean off the far (open) end of the bend ? There's not a lot of play on the rod, I thought the carb would slide off toward the engine.
Sorry if I'm being a bonehead.

Let it soak overnight with WD 40 or even better PB blaster. Those bushings get hard and crumbly. Pop the rod out of the carb not the carb off the rod. It only pops out like 1/4” and it’s free!

Not sure I understand how it's going to "pop" 1/4 in. You mean off the far (open) end of the bend ? There's not a lot of play on the rod, I thought the carb would slide off toward the engine.
Sorry if I'm being a bonehead.
Not at all. With the carb bolted down use a pry bar and “pop” the rod straight out- about a 1/4” to release the socket type retainer. End of the rod has a groove that snaps into the rubber type bushing you see. Once that pops you can remove the carb. I’ve damaged a carb thinking I could just slide the carb off the shaft before. How? Don’t ask. Okay, I pry’ed the carb so hard the stud the carb sits on Well it gouged the mounting surface. Look I was like 16. Stop laughing.

Thank you all gentlemen for your advice. After shooting some KROIL (wonderful stuff) into the insulator and letting it sit overnight, one pull by hand is all it took. Sometimes all you need is somebody to tell you it's doable and you wont break anything.
Thanks again
SC

-
Back