vibrations third gear

-

Marc57

Reaction score
dear oversea friends,
I drive a Jeep Grand Wagoneer with a TF 727 transmission. I did an overhaul on the transmission about 5.000 miles ago. It has worked fine all the time! I just returned from vacation in Spain, coming from the netherlands, which is about 2.000 miles both ways. The trans shifted fantastic, smooth, kick-down works perfect, downshifts nicely at steep hills on the highway. After the first day that we returned, all of a sudden the third gear started vibrating when coming from second gear. When de revs go further up, the vibrating dissapears. I tried the same only driving in first or second, but no vibrations?? Wghat could it possibly be? Any clues?

A short audio/video demonstrating the vibration different conditions can be a great help to us
Cheers

sounds like the clutches are chatter / slipping on deceleration?????

A short audio/video demonstrating the vibration different conditions can be a great help to us
Cheers
Honestly, I don't think that a video or audio track will be helpful. I am wondering what shot I should take?? But thanks anyway..

You could check the adjustments and verify nothing has changed there also check the converter bolts and the condition of the flex plate. One more thing I like changing the fluid because you can get an understanding of what is going on with the transmission.

We still don't know if it's a vibration or a shudder.

I would expect a converter issue to exist in any gear.

1 gear only would be a unique set of clutches / drum bands engaging

You could check the adjustments and verify nothing has changed there also check the converter bolts and the condition of the flex plate. One more thing I like changing the fluid because you can get an understanding of what is going on with the transmission.
Hi, I made a second ride, and now I suspect vibrations in all gears, however first and second less noticable. Flex plate can be an issue indeed. During the build up of the engine I found one thread of the crankshaft shot, so I had to apply an helicoil. Maybe it got loose again? The flange of the cranckshaft has not much depth, so easy to overstrengthen the flexplate bolts. I am busy pulling the transmission and I will find out if it is a loose flexplate?

-
Back