VIN plate missing rivets???

-

Saturdust

Reaction score
I am currently looking at purchasing a 1964 Plymouth Valiant. Although the fender tag is in place and you can clearly tell that it is correct for the car I have a concern about the silver v i n tag that's on the driver side door pillar. Both of the rivets are missing. It does not appear as though there are any scratches which might show signs of tampering but I am not familiar with this year whatsoever. Can someone out there please tell me if these cars were ever made without rivets attaching this Vin tag?

I had a 63 Dodge 330 that I purchased from the original owner. It was on a farm & owned by a nice lady. It did NOT have rivets holding the V.I.N. tag to the A pillar post. It looks like Chrysler used some other kind of way to securely fasten them on older (67 & earlier?) cars.

I had a 63 Dodge 330 that I purchased from the original owner. It was on a farm & owned by a nice lady. It did NOT have rivets holding the V.I.N. tag to the A pillar post. It looks like Chrysler used some other kind of way to securely fasten them on older (67 & earlier?) cars.
Thank you for the response, during the interim between me posting and just now I did decode the VIN and it does match what the car is so with your response and I'm sure a few others I will go forward with purchasing the car.

Thank you for the response, during the interim between me posting and just now I did decode the VIN and it does match what the car is so with your response and I'm sure a few others I will go forward with purchasing the car.
Just how did you do that? Other than that VIN tag, there is no other VIN stamped or attached to the car. If you have the build sheet with VIN and S.O.#, that would do it. A clean official title helps too. The VIN only gives you just so much info. The year, make, and body style is about it.

Just how did you do that? Other than that VIN tag, there is no other VIN stamped or attached to the car. If you have the build sheet with VIN and S.O.#, that would do it. A clean official title helps too. The VIN only gives you just so much info. The year, make, and body style is about it.
The first few pages of a Year One catalog decodes the info on the vin plate, as far as accuracy, well everything seemed to match ok...........

No rivets until 66 or 67. Those holes you see in each end of the tag are locating holes for the spot weld fixture that attached the tags at the factory. If the number on the stainless VIN plate matches the title, you should be good to go.

No rivets until 66 or 67. Those holes you see in each end of the tag are locating holes for the spot weld fixture that attached the tags at the factory. If the number on the stainless VIN plate matches the title, you should be good to go.

My 66 Valiant was riveted.

-
Back