Vin tag decode help please

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m just wondering what the tag says?
Also, for the future reader, (or myself) is there a place to go to decode the tag?

TIA Rob

B8174524-679D-4A7C-9DE5-1BBA7BBC0E7E.jpeg

This is what I have......1971 low line Duster with a 225, 904 trans, built an Hamtramck Dec 10th 1970, LH remote mirror, and AM radio. There's a few codes I don't have memorized that you'll have to look up.

What is the year and model of your mopar?
Cudamark has decoded what I can see of the car correctly. Other info I can provide via the eye balls is;
Manual 9 inch drum brakes all around.
Manual steering.
Vinyl roof.
Below is a picture of the color. It appears original.
Interior panels are black along with the steering wheel. The car is mostly gutted.
1971 low line Duster with a 225, 904 trans, built an Hamtramck Dec 10th 1970, LH remote mirror, and AM radio.
Thanks Mark.
Thanks @Stephen Mulkey
@George Jets solid one color pictured below, but hey! I’m open! I’d like the original color since it is something you don’t see often anymore.
This is not a resto!

Time to get busy on it.....

2CB1F8B2-CB2F-44FD-A300-7676CB3BFD37.jpeg

That’s a super low option car! Butterscotch!

I have that too. I guess the two paint codes are TX9 and EL5? The other TX9 is probably the interior color (black?) I don't remember seeing a two tone paint scheme with one of them black. Looking at the color of the fender tag, it looks to be some sort of orange. With an orange and black two tone, it would look like a jack-o-lantern!:lol:

I have that too. I guess the two paint codes are TX9 and EL5? The other TX9 is probably the interior color (black?) I don't remember seeing a two tone paint scheme with one of them black. Looking at the color of the fender tag, it looks to be some sort of orange. With an orange and black two tone, it would look like a jack-o-lantern!:lol:

Hummmm, black interior/black Vinyl roof?

Maybe since it has a black vinyl top and butterscotch? body color, they consider that two tone paint?

I thought V1X is a black vinyl top. Your car has a painted top. Was the vinyl removed and then painted?

I thought V1X is a black vinyl top. Your car has a painted top. Was the vinyl removed and then painted?

Certainly looks like it has vinyl top chrome trim on it with the chrome drip rail mouldings removed, then painted the top black.

The first TX9 refers to the interior panels: Black
The second TX9 probably refers to the vinyl top color: Black
Book says VO2: paint-two tone

A friend’s white vinyl top on his 73 Dart was peeling badly. He removed it and painted the top white.

It is a two-tone paint car, they used the same moldings that vinyl top cars did over the mask line. (Top painted first, then masked off for lower body color)

The second TX9 is for the upper door frame paint on the inside of the doors.

It is a two-tone paint car, they used the same moldings that vinyl top cars did over the mask line. (Top painted first, then masked off for lower body color)

All good ^^^^
It looks odd though with the missing chrome on the drip rails to go with the vinyl top trim.

My bet is they stripped the vinyl top off and had to remove the chrome drip rail trim to get the vinyl top material out from underneath it.

In the process they bent up the drip rail chrome trim getting it off, so they left it off after repainting the top black.

I do believe so.
Certainly looks like it has vinyl top chrome trim on it with the chrome drip rail mouldings removed, then painted the top black.
Exactly.
I have never seen that. Painted black top from the factory in conjunction with the molding for a vinyl top to make a break line for the other color. This is correct in what your saying?

I’ve seen guys purposely do this since vinyl tends to let water in and rot the roof.
Upper door frames are indeed black.

This duster never had a vinyl top. Always had Painted top. EL5 is the body color. The TX9 above the EL5 is the top color. V02 is telling you it is 2 tone paint.

If a car had a Black vinyl top it would have both paint codes EL5 and then a V1X near the end of the codes.

Last edited:
Wow! So it came that way, painted upper black and lower butterscotch. Interesting indeed. Like I said, I never seen one but yet I bought one!
LMAO! What’s next?

-
Back