Vintage Plates

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the old plates for my car (NY). They are the blue with gold letters and numbers. How much are the average price for a nice set of plates? I don't want to pay to much.

Fred B

from what I've seen, it varies from state to state as well as the year. I think my dad paid almost 150 for a pair of Wa car plates for his 1940 Chevy. There were tons of singles and truck plates but a pair of car plates that old are scarce. He had to completely redo them as they were pretty rough but all intact with no rips in the metal. I would watch some on Ebay for a couple weeks or so to see what they are selling for.

It's true, they vary in price from state to state. They also vary in price from year to year, depending upon how many excess plates the DMV turned over. Your best bet is a good used set, and they vary in price also. It's a gamble, but if that is what you want, I say do it.

Bill S.

The prices for a pair vary. I got mine from a dealer out in Buffalo.

I will P/M you his info when I get home.

I would check with DMV to see if the # is good before you buy them.

Here in fla i also considered a year correct tag i have shopped around for years and found a guy at a automotive swap meet with un regestered [new] plates for 25.00$ then i have to send them to Talahassee for a regrestration search [65.00$] then back to me to regestration [40.00$] so i have just stuck with the collectable type tag. PM me for this guys name and number if your intrested he is here in fla right now will go back to indianna in april.

Hi Lou,
In NY it has to be a real unrestored, unaltered plate. With numbers not currently in use.

-
Back