Vintage Road Racing PIR

-

Bad Shrimp

Reaction score
Went to the vintage road races at Pacific International Raceway today sponsored by "Phil Smart Mercedes Benz". Its not what it used to be, I guess effected by economy maybe? The Phil Smart sponsored event used to be the biggest of the year, 8 years ago it was absolutely huge and they had all sorts of famous vintage racecar drivers both driving and wrenching on their cars, giving autographs etc.

Now the big event of the year is the size of the old small events, not worth the 25-35 bucks. (old small events were free). Cheeseburgers are $7 now, beer cups are super tiny. Prolly gonna cross this event off the list along with mariner / seahawk events. (sad face)

:tongue7:

Went to the vintage road races at Pacific International Raceway today sponsored by "Phil Smart Mercedes Benz". Its not what it used to be, I guess effected by economy maybe? The Phil Smart sponsored event used to be the biggest of the year, 8 years ago it was absolutely huge and they had all sorts of famous vintage racecar drivers both driving and wrenching on their cars, giving autographs etc.

Now the big event of the year is the size of the old small events, not worth the 25-35 bucks. (old small events were free). Cheeseburgers are $7 now, beer cups are super tiny. Prolly gonna cross this event off the list along with mariner / seahawk events. (sad face):tongue7:

Sad testiment as to what's happening all over. Watched the Daytona NASCAR event last night on TV...empty backstretch seats, and lots of empty seats even on the front stretch. These "Big" races used to sell out easily.

I guess when times arent great, racing is easy to erase from the budget.

Only reason I was bumbed out was because I brought my dad with me. I was telling him about the last time I went (about 8 or so years ago). I told him how Vic Edelbrock was there racing his cars (got autographed poster). I think Dick Guldstrand was there with 1 or 2 1963 Grand Sport cars. The race brackets were packed for every class (i think group 5 is the transam guys), the parking lots were rediculous full, just walking through the parking lot was a car show in itself. Some dude made a Lola T70 CanAm car street legal and drove it. It was over the top and rediculous.

So I show up with my dad...............we left after about 30 min. Had more fun jammin' out with my Plymouth Scamp and dad in tow.

I sit put on by the same promoter? Often times, the big $$$ teams, special cars or famous drivers get paid to show up. New promoters have a hard time finding sponsorship and the $$$ to hand out to the talent.

You guys that "are there" should go. I sure can't afford to motor/ fly/ boat/ transport/ wormhole down there to attend.

The dragstrip up here in Spokane nearly folded, if it wasn't for a few individuals at Spokane County, it'd be gone.

Peter Brock lives over in Snohomish, a guy I know (Dale) does the bodywork and paint on his personal cars. Neat dude.

Laguna is the place to go for vintage road racing.
My boss used to race a Buick Regal in IMSA and then had Tommie Riggins build him a Buick Somerset.

Sebring 1986
MrShafersSomerset12Sebring1987.jpg

It has been restored and is now raced by Shaun Coleman..and kicking butt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK4cWpGXzMA&feature=player_embedded#at=248

-
Back