Vintage travel trailers

-

bighammer

Reaction score
I don't know if it's just a local thing to my area, but have you seen how much in demand these old travel trailers are becoming? It's absolutely crazy! The money they are asking is rediculous!

I used to find these things parked in people's side yard and buy them, use it for the summer, then sell it; almost always for at least what I paid for it. Like $500-$750 or so. They were everywhere so I would just get red of it after the season and find another next year. I even had one or two given to me just to pull it off their property!

Well now flash forward 20-25 years... Been looking for another one of these cool old RVs... They're gone! I usually 'scan' the neighborhoods while I am out driving around on jobs. I'm all over the county.. No such luck! The ones I'm talking about are generally from the 60's, and in my area the brands are Aloha, Shasta, and several others. They are just super nastalgic to me. And built when mfgs. had at least somewhat of a conscience as compared to the RV manufacturers today. These old trailers have absolutely NO particle board, No plastic, NO fake wood grain paneling, etc..

Aparently the craze has caught on with quite a few people, as doing a Google search you will see a multitudinous number of them being proudly displayed by their owners at RV events and various car shows.

I'm on the hunt. And I will find one to buy. My wife is totally behind me on this as we did a lot of camping with them early on in our marriage and all thru the time we were raising our three kids. My suggestion to you is, if you see one of these trailers parked, looking somewhat neglected, stop and offer to buy it! They are worth a LOT of money! I wish I would have just lined the ones up on my property that I bought over the years! Here is a picture I snagged off of craigslist of one for sale. The price ain't too bad, often they are $5-$7k and I've seen some well over $10k, one for $28,000.00!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 230
I noticed this too, did you see my rehash of a Coleman trailer? This was not, LOL out of "some love" for classic old trailers I've recently seen two similar models (paid 300 bucks for mine, LOL) for more than 5 times that much.

Same thing as Mopars, as they have a few shows about fixing them up and now everyone that has one thinks they are gold.

Oops, I meant they ARE gold. :D

Big Hammer,
Have one if you want to come and get it. P.M. me I know I'm far away from Ya have not been trying to sell it but going through the big D so stuff has to go. Just throwing it out there. They are cool had mine for 8 years got a fair deal before they went crazy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 207
It's a 56' all wood on the inside with Ice-Box,little three burner top and small sink.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 207
Dell, I didn't see that. But I thought you were in search of a slide-in camper (?)

I was. Here's what I ended up doing LOL. I can still convert it back to a trailer pretty easy, and "have that" in the plans. On a positive note, we had a couple of days of rain and it does not seem to leak "when down."

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=314070

attachment.php

Big Hammer,
Have one if you want to come and get it. P.M. me I know I'm far away from Ya have not been trying to sell it but going through the big D so stuff has to go. Just throwing it out there. They are cool had mine for 8 years got a fair deal before they went crazy.

ROAD TRIP!! Wow, wish I was closer, that's pretty much what I'm looking for :prayer:

Ya it would be a hellava road trip. Wish you were close I would give you a deal you could not refuse. Would like to see it go to someone that will take good care of it. That all aluminum outside is easy to take care of. Little aluminum polish and then wax and it shines up pertty good.

Guy I got from was a Full Bird Cornel at Fort Sill he restored the whole inside all wood paneling the table that folds down to a bed and Reapulstered the steats. Redid the little range top and have the newer propane bottle hook up. Has one small bed in the other end and small closet.

No restroom but did the hunting camp trick with metal folding chair hole cut in middle and bolt on smaller potty seat five gallon bucket. Used only for the middle of the night needs if Ya know what I mean.

Good luck in your search!!! They can still be found there is one similar to mine about 30 minutes from my house parked nested up to a old storage shed. The only problem is the cool old parts are pricey to replace. Sort of like our MOPARS. I have relatives on the other end of your state by Klamath Falls. My dad worked at a gold mill down by Riddle for a little while. I think Grants pass area if my noggin is working right.

Del,
I like your set up simple and accomplishs what it needs to do. Here you on the rain we have had about 6+ inches in the last couple days.

Well, since starting this thread two weeks ago, I have been on three significant road trips to follow up on leads, mostly from Craigslist, in search of a vintage camp trailer. I must have looked at 5-6 trailers and drove at least 700 miles. First I bought a 1965 Aloha. I bought it at night... Looked better at night than it did the next day. Then I found this 1965 Aristacrat "Li'l Loafer". It's a 12 footer, including three feet of tongue! But wow, for a '65, it's by far the best I've seen. The interior still has all the original wood with NO signs of leaks - ever. It's pretty basic, a dinette at the rear that makes into a nice sized bed, and a kitchen counter across the front with sink, stove, and ice box. Perfect for Cori and I. It's kinda like a wooden tent, on wheels. What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 171
Check out this picture from about 1993... That's my oldest son (now 24) and me with a couple of the "canned hams" we used to own. The one on the left is from the late forties but I can't remember the brand. I think the one on the right is an early 60's Aloha.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 149
Same thing as Mopars, as they have a few shows about fixing them up and now everyone that has one thinks they are gold.

Oops, I meant they ARE gold. :D

They are "GOLD" , on the central coast, of Cali , Greg. The newer stuff, is getting discombobulated, by a someone I know....

About a year ago, a friend of mine who still lives in Jersey, picked up an old AirStream. As I recall it's a 28 footer.
I twas in pretty good condition, but he's in the process of restoring it to "As new" condition. His kids are grown and out on their own, now, so when the project is done, He and his wife are planning a three month excursion around the country.

My wife has no interest in that any more, as she told me that it would be her vacation too, and she would rather stay in hotels, than do "house work" on the road. lol

We used to have a 1976 Winnebago Brave, 22 footer. Bought it new in 1976 for $9800.00 lol. That was a small fortune back then, but we used the hell out of it for about 8 years. My 2 boys loved it. We sold it the year my daughter was born, so she never got to experience it.

We would usually take a month in the Summer and visit all the points of interest in the US and Canada. My oldest is in his 40's now, and they still talk about those vacations.
We also would go during the Spring and fall for about a week at a time.

Even when we went to visit relatives during Christmas, we'd take the Motor home. We didn't sleep in it, but it sure made the drive a whole hell of a lot nicer, than sitting in a car or van.

When the kids moved out we Had a trailer for a while, it was a small hardtop pop up by Jayco. Slept 6 and was fully equipped. Real easy to tow behind out van. We finally sold it, too, and started staying at hotels while on vacation.

I have a nice '76 28ft silverstreak if someone wants it! I got it from my inlaws and they bought it new. Needs work. MT

-
Back