Viscous fan package?

-

67dartgtgo

Reaction score
since the old Mopar 5 blade viscous fan kit is now unobtainium is anyone using the Mancini 6 blade viscous kit?
Mancini Viscous Fan Package
upload_2020-5-23_20-59-10.gif

I have a small electric flex that’s at least 25 years old that I’d like to scrap for the viscous mechanical stockish set up. I know I just missed out on one here last week....big dummy.
Any feedback on the Mancini unit would be great....pics even better.
Thanks, Brian

Make sure you understand how much room you have and compare that with the height of the clutch. Lots of variables in old cars with swapped parts.

For another solution, many dodge trucks have compatible fans and clutches. I think I paid $30 at pick & pull for fan, clutch, shroud.

since the old Mopar 5 blade viscous fan kit is now unobtainium is anyone using the Mancini 6 blade viscous kit?
Mancini Viscous Fan Package
View attachment 1715533920
I have a small electric flex that’s at least 25 years old that I’d like to scrap for the viscous mechanical stockish set up. I know I just missed out on one here last week....big dummy.
Any feedback on the Mancini unit would be great....pics even better.
Thanks, Brian

no help on the mancini set up -
I have done a lot of fan testing on my 68 fastback w/ a 440/505 in it , a full mech fan is about 8ish degrees better than a clutch type fan in mine .
I`m running a 6 blade, alum., 17'' clutch fan at the moment , clutch is 2 5/8'' tall , w/ a 14'' elec. booster in front , set to come on at 205* , the booster didnt come on yesterday at mid 80`s outside temp. , car ran at 200 after a while -----------

For another solution, many dodge trucks have compatible fans and clutches. I think I paid $30 at pick & pull for fan, clutch, shroud.

I`m running a 6 blade, alum., 17'' clutch fan at the moment , clutch is 2 5/8'' tall , w/ a 14'' elec. booster in front , set to come on at 205* , the booster didnt come on yesterday at mid 80`s outside temp. , car ran at 200 after a while -----------

Thanks Mike and Bob....my nearest pick and puck salvage yards don’t keep much older stock around long before it hits the crusher. They’re really good or bad like that here in the Northeast.
I’ll definitely take all the needed measurements to ensure there’ll be no clearance issues. Thanks.

I have had good success with a thermostatic clutch off an early 200x' s Ford pick-up truck. Mine was bought new from Ford in about 2002, and still going.
It spins an all-steel Mopar 7-blader; the one with the turned-up tips.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR25-2tQnIAAbFO3W4rFpUC6BitwpgyjL1YZl74nDrASDWe1r8fkw&s.jpg
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTHvIAXBoYAIggC45aq7ZZDsFNZoXDOC1zwdwHLAuMqQ8mCcUEB&usqp=CAU.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mike and Bob....my nearest pick and puck salvage yards don’t keep much older stock around long before it hits the crusher. They’re really good or bad like that here in the Northeast.
I’ll definitely take all the needed measurements to ensure there’ll be no clearance issues. Thanks.

Same where I’m at. If it’s 8 years old or older it gets crushed, even if it still has sale-able parts left. Stupid really, but they figure it’s taking up space and the money from the crush beats waiting to sell a few more parts.

Same where I’m at. If it’s 8 years old or older it gets crushed, even if it still has sale-able parts left. Stupid really, but they figure it’s taking up space and the money from the crush beats waiting to sell a few more parts.

Same here most old stuff is gone .
AJ-----
IMG_0475 (1).JPG

Guess we are lucky in Kansas, still easy to find 90s & some 80s in junkyard. Dodge trucks are a good source of parts.

I think the Hayden 2947 is the shortest fan clutch, that’s what I have on mine. It is a bear to get the water pump Bolts in.

Guess we are lucky in Kansas, still easy to find 90s & some 80s in junkyard. Dodge trucks are a good source of parts.

I think the Hayden 2947 is the shortest fan clutch, that’s what I have on mine. It is a bear to get the water pump Bolts in.

amen to that , I cut down studs to use ----------

I've got some 5 and 7 blade viscous fans...bring your own clutch.:D
My preference is a factory flex.:thumbsup:

I've got some 5 and 7 blade viscous fans...bring your own clutch.:D
My preference is a factory flex.:thumbsup:
Thanks Jimacuda....someone saw this and hooked me up already.
Special thanks to fshd4it. An awesome member indeed.

I've preached and preached and preached it about that setup........on deaf ears. A member had one in the for sale section not long ago. I was tellin everybody about it. Tryin to help the guy out. It was CHEAP, too. Nobody responded or listened. So, I made a deal with him and got it. I don't even need it. And no you caint have it. lol

Lol....thanks rrr. I responded to that add 2 weeks ago just after you made it go away..lol. Hence the thread.
I was thinking about the Mancini when I posted this and fshd4it contacted me asking if I’d be interested in a MP 5 blade just like the one you beat me to. Naturally knowing how much you promote it’s cooling ability and your knowledge surrounding it, I would have been a fool to say no.
Don’t worry, people are listening. Lol.

Lol....thanks rrr. I responded to that add 2 weeks ago just after you made it go away..lol. Hence the thread.
I was thinking about the Mancini when I posted this and fshd4it contacted me asking if I’d be interested in a MP 5 blade just like the one you beat me to. Naturally knowing how much you promote it’s cooling ability and your knowledge surrounding it, I would have been a fool to say no.
Don’t worry, people are listening. Lol.

They really aren't THAT hard to find. If you have some GOOD yards around you, you should be able to find one. They were used on almost everything from the late 70s through the late 80s. The fan is the important part. You can get the clutch units new.

They really aren't THAT hard to find. If you have some GOOD yards around you, you should be able to find one. They were used on almost everything from the late 70s through the late 80s. The fan is the important part. You can get the clutch units new.
I actually have one from a yard magnum that’s got a bent blade but can’t get it off the engine without making or renting the removal tool. It’s the single nut type clutch and it was put on there by Superman. Then I’d have to try to straighten the blade, strip and paint it. It’s in pretty rough shape.
I’m very happy with the new one that should be here by Friday.

I actually have one from a yard magnum that’s got a bent blade but can’t get it off the engine without making or renting the removal tool. It’s the single nut type clutch and it was put on there by Superman. Then I’d have to try to straighten the blade, strip and paint it. It’s in pretty rough shape.
I’m very happy with the new one that should be here by Friday.

I gotchya. Now you do realize some of those are left hand thread, right? I tell you how I do them and its work every time without fail. First soak it down with a good penetrating oil. Next get an air chisel and get right on a corner of the nut and pop it with the air chisel in the direction you think is right. If you luck up and get it the right way the first time, it will pop right loose. I have done a LOT that way and it always works.

I gotchya. Now you do realize some of those are left hand thread, right? I tell you how I do them and its work every time without fail. First soak it down with a good penetrating oil. Next get an air chisel and get right on a corner of the nut and pop it with the air chisel in the direction you think is right. If you luck up and get it the right way the first time, it will pop right loose. I have done a LOT that way and it always works.
I thought they were all left hand thread but who knew?
I’m trying that tomorrow. Thank you.

I thought they were all left hand thread but who knew?
I’m trying that tomorrow. Thank you.

It depends on which way the water pump turns. Some are left hand, some are right.

Not planning to change just was looking for info on 5 blade fan.

Larry Shepard and his bunch discovered the five blade fan moved more air because it breaks the air up more since the blades are offset. Similar to the external fans on a GM alternator. Each blade is a different size. If you've ever looked at one, you know what I am talking about. The Mopar fan achieves the same effect since it's blades are offset. I'm no physicist, but it makes sense. I have actually proven it. I replaced a seven blade symmetrical fan with a five blade non symmetrical MP fan and the car ran cooler. Some people argue that a clutch fan cannot move more than a fixed blade, but that's false. The MP viscous fan is thermostatically controlled. It has a bimetal spring on the front that expands as it heats up. The fan can and will achieve 100% lockup under a heavy load as temperatures increase. The advantage they have is, they don't ALWAYS move the most air they can as the clutch allows slippage which saves horse power and increases mileage. It also reduces wear and tear on the water pump. Those old guys weren't stupid.

-
Back