Volare Disc Brake Swap

-

72DartSwingerV8

Reaction score
Alright, I know there has been plenty of discussion about this topic over the past but I have a few specifics in mind. First of all, I have a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger small bolt pattern disc brakes in the front and drums in the back. I recently bought 1976 Volare big bolt pattern disc brake spindles, rotors, and calipers with the knowledge that they will fit the Dart. I know that they are an inch taller and some people call this unsafe but I personally have no problem with it. My only intention is to get the whole car big bolt pattern as the rear end is currently big bolt pattern because of a swap. The problem I've found with the spindle is that the ball joint was mounted onto the spindle in the 72 Dart but it was mounted on the lower control arm in the Volare. What do I do about that? The Volare is still in the junkyard so I can go get more parts but I had thought that these spindles would just bolt up. What all do I need to change/modify in order to get these things working?

Thank you so much for the help.

You use the f- body spindle and the 73-up a-body lower ball joint. You'll need large ball joint upper arms and also the longer bolts to hold the lower ball joint to the spindle.

Thanks for the quick response abodyjoe. In your opinion is it possible to bore out the current 72 Upper Control Arm to fit a large ball joint?

Also, do I need to get the proportioning valve from the Volare or will the Dart's be fine?

Thanks for the quick response abodyjoe. In your opinion is it possible to bore out the current 72 Upper Control Arm to fit a large ball joint?

Also, do I need to get the proportioning valve from the Volare or will the Dart's be fine?

Don't think there is enough meat there to bore out the ball joint hole.

You need a disc brake valve.

The hydraulic side of things should be fine since you already had disc brakes on the car. There is a company that sells a tapered sleeve to be able to use the large bolt spindles on the small ball joint upper arms.

The hydraulic side of things should be fine since you already had disc brakes on the car. There is a company that sells a tapered sleeve to be able to use the large bolt spindles on the small ball joint upper arms.

Do you know where I can find the company? I was thinking about adding bracing after boring it out, but if it's too thin then I won't bother.

You can get the sleeve at speedwaymotors.com in the circle track section. I just got a set of tube uppers from RMS.

there are two ways to keep your current upper control arms. One is to buy a taper sleeve that fit on the SBJ pin, making it a LBJ size. Dr. Diff sells them for about $50/pr

The other way is to buy the upper sleeve, cut the old threaded sleeve off and weld on the new LBJ sleeve. Sleeves run about $8 and you can cut them in half, making two parts to do a set of uppers. TS201 from this page or similar from speedway.
http://www.stockcarproducts.com/susp7.htm

Yes, you cut the old threaded sleeve off, open the hole up, and weld that to the upper a-arm.

Check with him e-bay or call him. His website doesn't have everything he sells on it.
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/doctordiff1/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

I think he may be out of town attending MATS, so give him a few days to get back to Montana. He's a great guy and VERY helpful.

Alright thanks a lot crackedback. I'll order them today and hopefully get all this stuff setup this weekend.

The link you posted didn't work for some reason.

You don't want the sleeve too tall or you'll have a hard time getting the dust boot installed.

-
Back