w2 heads

-

ahlberg

Reaction score
I just got my 68 barracuda out for body and paint yesterday, know me and my dad are starting the motor. Its gonna be a strip happy car but also streetable.Ive been reading SO much on what heads to use for our 340, and it all came down to w2's. I keep reading about people machining down valve seats. what would have to be done after buying w2 heads? I was considering porting to get closer to 300cfm. Does anybody have + feedback on the w2's? or is anybody running different heads that they would suggest?
- Thanks

"strip happy" . I like that. W2's are hard to beat for the money if you can find them. The new large port commando's are good too. Good deep bowl job, radius (round) the top edge of the guide boss, port match and 5 angles on the seats and you will be very close to 300. Also do a 30* back cut on the valves and you will have good solid heads to build on. Good luck. Terry.

Like Terry said. They are a decent head, with a catch or two, depending on what you can find. First, they all have their own special intakes and headers. They are available in iron and aluminum. Some use special valves, and some use special rocker setups. If you can score a non modified set for cheap, or have the $$ to buy a brand new set, that would be what you want. They've been around for a long time, and there's some badly ported used ones around now. Cost wise, the whole package will cost a bit more than the heads themselves, and like I said, you're limited to more pricey and "racey" headers and manifolding. There are some vewry fast stock storke cars running the new Edelbrocks, and the Indy and Indy-brock heads. The edelbrock based parts will use any headers and any intake setup, and can be had for similar $$ as W series or MP heads new, and you dont need any exotic other stuff. In any case, 300 cfm is great..if the engine runs where it can use it. most stock stroke engines will be peaky and sluggish low down with a port that large, when paired with a cam that matches the flow results. Build smart, and make sure you research what you need to make any choice actually run in your car. Then you'll be happy with the result.

-
Back