wanting to swap a few 6.1 parts onto my 5.7

-

Cool Hand

Reaction score
Have a 6.1 I was gonna put in my duster, but it turns out it needs allot of work. It was a theft recovery car so I guess they beat it pretty bad. Anyway I decided to go with the 5.7 I have instead. Was reading about the intake swaps a few people have done,and would like to do it for looks mainly. don't like the 5.7 plastic intake. Looks like I could also gain on the top end by swapping the intake, injectors fuel rails, and throttle body from the 6.1. I guess my big question is can I swap the coil packs from the 6.1 to the 5.7 to get rid of all the plug wire mess? The 5.7 is an 04 and the packs ,and plug wires are all over the top end of the motor looks horrible. Is this possible gonna be running holley terminator x harness.

I would swap everything from the deck up. 6.1 heads flow better than the early 5.7.

If the crank from the 6.1 is not damaged I would definitely use it in place of the 5.7 crank. The 6.1 crank is forged and is the same stroke as the 5.7. If at all possible, I would also change to a forge rod and piston. Now you have a complete forged bottom end to build on. That is what they did with this build: Swap a 6.1L Crank Into a 5.7L Hemi For 440 HP

I would use the Non-MDS lifters and plugs out of the 6.1. Pushrods, too. They're supposed to be a little longer for correct preload.

I would use the Non-MDS lifters and plugs out of the 6.1. Pushrods, too. They're supposed to be a little longer for correct preload.
That is fantastic news, got some customer work to do tommorow morning but gonna pull the heads off of the 6.1 and see if they are ok to use aswell as the other parts. Do you know anyone that might want the 6.1 short block when I'm done.parting it Just because I dont have the cash to get the machine work done and already have a good5.7
Not sure what went wrong with it yet
Should no more tommorow

That is fantastic news, got some customer work to do tommorow morning but gonna pull the heads off of the 6.1 and see if they are ok to use aswell as the other parts. Do you know anyone that might want the 6.1 short block when I'm done.parting it Just because I dont have the cash to get the machine work done and already have a good5.7
Not sure what went wrong with it yet
Should no more tommorow
If the block is still std. bore and there's no holes in it, you'll have no problem selling that short block. PM me some pics when you get that far. Facebook gen 3 swap is a good place. 6.1 stuff doesn't sit there too long.

Decided to order the adapter plate for 6.1 intake and use the newer valve covers and coils for now. Car needs to be done for SEMA if it happens. Gonna keep 6.1 and heads to rebuild for later. Here's a pic of what I found when I took the heads off.
20200615_123646.jpg
20200615_123739.jpg

Cool Hand, that is not really that bad. I will but the short block from you if you are selling it. price pending of course. the 5.7 in my car now was way worse than that and she runs just fine. a little machine work, new slugs and back to service she went. let me know what you need for the short block as is.

to answer your questions use the 6.1 push rods with the new heads, pull out the MDS lifters swap with non mds lifters and let it eat. I also went and bought the plastic plugs for the solenoids for the lifters.

43DFEF63-4668-4C69-B5A5-F57545AF23B6.jpeg
F3A7F893-C63E-4EDB-A871-84F13D8816B8.jpeg
43DFEF63-4668-4C69-B5A5-F57545AF23B6.jpeg
F3A7F893-C63E-4EDB-A871-84F13D8816B8.jpeg
Have a 6.1 I was gonna put in my duster, but it turns out it needs allot of work. It was a theft recovery car so I guess they beat it pretty bad. Anyway I decided to go with the 5.7 I have instead. Was reading about the intake swaps a few people have done,and would like to do it for looks mainly. don't like the 5.7 plastic intake. Looks like I could also gain on the top end This is by swapping the intake, injectors fuel rails, and throttle body from the 6.1. I guess my big question is can I swap the coil packs from the 6.1 to the 5.7 to get rid of all the plug wire mess? The 5.7 is an 04 and the packs ,and plug wires are all over the top end of the motor looks horrible. Is this possible gonna be running holley terminator x harness.
This is my 5.7 truck motor with 6.1 intake. If you have eagle heads you can bolt the intake on. If you have early heads you will need adapter plates like I have. The 6.1 heads will bolt on your 5.7. If I where you and you have the early heads I would use the 6.1 if they are good or have them redone. I have the 5.7 coil packs and shorty plug wires. You will have to use the 6.1 fuel rails and throttle body. The 5.7 will not bolt up. You can use the 6.1 crank and cam. Your 5.7 will run better than 6.1 with that setup

Also if you have the truck motor you either have to get new brackets for the accessories on top to move them out. This means cutting your timing chain cover down a bit. Or getting a car timing cover and move your alternator and compressor down below. I don’t know if Inertia Motorsports still makes the brackets for it. If you need pics of where to cut I can get them. Good luck

Hesitant at the moment to pull the good running 5.7 apart with the whole rest of the car to build before the end of October. I ordered the adapter plates for the 6.1 intake though because I just can't deal with that huge plastic intake and cover. Also fitted the 6.1 valve covers so I can use the cleaner looking coil pack setup. E3 sparkplugs is one of our sponsors,and they make coils for them. If we have time at the end I would love to get the 6.1
heads done. If I use the 6.1 heads will the 6.1 pushrods,and lifters work. I have heard yes and no on that. Have also heard that if I run it how I have it now with the 5.7 early heads that I should leave the mds solenoids in place just leave them unplugged. Have been told that if I replace with the plugs that the lifters will not hold pressure and those cylinders will shut down as if the mds was activated. either way gonna just leave them unplugged at first and quit trying to fix something that ain't broke yet as my dad would say. Thanks for the input. I will post pics as soon as we get rollin.

What did the 5.7 come out of. A 300. I think you you will have to delete the MDS. You said it’s an 04.

If your 5.7 is indeed an 04 truck engine(as per your OG post), it will not have MDS. If the solenoids are present, then you possibly have it. In that case, do as you said. Leave them unplugged and you'll be fine. If you use the solenoid delete plugs, you need to replace lifters. Again, as you stated, those lifters will NOT receive oil pressure if they are MDS lifters and delete plugs are used together.

If your 5.7 is indeed an 04 truck engine(as per your OG post), it will not have MDS. If the solenoids are present, then you possibly have it. In that case, do as you said. Leave them unplugged and you'll be fine. If you use the solenoid delete plugs, you need to replace lifters. Again, as you stated, those lifters will NOT receive oil pressure if they are MDS lifters and delete plugs are used together.

-
Back