warmer air AFTER recharging AC

-

challenger57

cuda57
Reaction score
Sorry guys this is not about my valiant but about my wife's subaru. I put in a can 134A as called for because the air was only cool not cold. My gauge showed it was a little low. After emptying most of the can into the low pressure line the pressure went up slightly into the green but the air coming out the vents got WARMER. Any thoughts appriciated.

is the condenser getting cold or the tube running from it into the firewall?

was the compressor running when you put the can in?

As I recall it must be running to charge.

My daughter has a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee after about a year it leaks enough to only blow cool air. add 1 can and the pressure is right where it should be and the air is cold ~45-50 deg at one of the vents.

My 2006 Grand Caravan seemed like it needed some refrigerant and I hooked up a can and the pressure was on the low side. I added refrigerant but the pressure never changed. I thought it was odd so I checked the outlet temperature and it was in the mid to high 30's, OOPS that might have been too much refrigerant. I bled a bit of refrigerant off and got the outlet temp to be in the low to mid 40's. checking the pressure again still showed it to be on the low side. not sure why it read that way or what I might have been doing wrong.

My point of all this is (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) overcharging the system can bring the evap coil temp so low that it can ice up and block airflow, so the result is no cooling. (think old freezer that had to be defrosted every month or so)

Just my semi uneducated 2 cents

yes, adding too much will jack it up. When and if you have the proper equipment, you should purge , evacuate, and recharge with the correct amount of refrigerant. Now, you can get by by just adding a "can" of refrigerant, but if you added two or three, probably too much. If your system was completely empty, you have a major leak somewhere.

Yes, you need to evacuate the system and then recharge with proper amount. I have found that depending on where leak it located, air can be introduced into system. With your can gauge you are only reading low side pressure. More than likely, with your added refrigerant, you now have too much hi side pressure. This will not cause an icing condition, just will increase outlet air temp. With every increase in hi side pressure, is a corresponding increase in operating temp, and that equals higher outlet temp.

Too much freon and too much pressure will kick the compressor off. There are low and high pressure switches. Just adding freon is not always the fix for a system that doesn't cool.

Just adding freon is not always the fix for a system that doesn't cool.

THESE WORDS should be permanently engraved in every store above the refrigerant shelves!!!!

Other problems:

Could have "slugged" the compressor with liquid and ruined it, ruptured a valve or broke a rod. You will not always hear this

Could have somehow introduced some moisture with your charging getup. A drop of water will freeze when it goes through the system metering device, instantly plugging it

I will try letting some of the coolant out to relieve some pressure. Can't waste too much time on this, wife is chomping at the bit. Thanks for all the imput.

Is "slugged" the same as "sluck" as in I "slucked " down some beers after I fixed the wife's A/C ?

-
Back