Watching inferior tools blow up....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Assembly,on the Magnum/EQ 360 mill.Needed to prime the lifters/rockers. Pull out the compreser,or the 110 ,or the $15.00 Buffalo tools drill(yes,I know...).Chose the garbage. It pumped up all rockers,less than a minute. Smoke, was billowing,the whole time.(Out of the drill). Never laughed, that hard in so long. Care to Share?

Fried a Chinese battery charger trying to start a Japanese lawn mower......twisted the key, zzzzzt....piff. Almost made it in the trash barrel from 40ft away.......

Years ago when I first got into HVAC / R, my boss, of a small outfit LOVED Horrid Freight.

1--Their "alloy" pipe wrenches. Needed to move a big pipe. Cheater bar. Predictable.

2--Set of Chineseo combo wrenches. Same deal. Big nut Cheater. "poing"

3--HF MIG welder. wire feed motor would NOT run "smooth." They sent us a motor. same deal. Could not get a controller board. I'm still not a welder, certainly wasn't then, beginning to wonder if it was ME. Finally bought a Miller, and "HEY" "I can weld!!"

4--Drills. Yup. Forget what th' boss was using a 120V HF drill for, honing a cylinder? Anyhow, an old "real" B&D or other solid name brand would have loafed. Smoke. Fire. Blue Clouds of "Language."

5-- Bench grinder. Actually worked. for awhile

6--In their defense, the drill press was OK.

"Back when" I was stationed at N.A.S. Miramar in the '70's (Top Gun) I had a part time job at the auto hobby shop. Never knew sailors could break so much stuff. We had a couple of big ball pein hammer heads broke. This is when B&D was starting to build drills with a mostly metal housing and a plastic rear handle. Had a bucket full of those -- broke. 3/8 Ratchets seemed to be a favorite. I'm sure this had to do with Long Lengths of Pipe.

One of the best LOLs was a couple guys were pulling / o'haulin a Y block out of a Ford pickup, about a 59? Some of the stalls at the hobby shop were "hilly," but the semi - worthless kid at the check-in window was supposed to ask "what will you be doing?" and assign accordingly. Somebody doing a tune -up could use a sloped stall.

So I got there seconds too late. About 3-4 guys were trynnna put that Y block back in, had the snorkel of a cherry picker over extended downhill with the engine, and (I guess) one "counterweight guy" stepped off the rear. The engine / Ford-a-matic slipped forward, and stuffed the tailshaft right through the windshield, then set there "stuck" and drained ATF all over and down into the dashboard. "I wished them luck."

-
Back