Water in motor

-

TheCudaKid

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
just finished rebuilding my motor and put it in the car, the car is still outside, so I covered it with the tarp. During the storm last night the tarp was blown off and it rained into the engine which is fully built everything but air filter onto the engine, which I believe water got inside the carb and possibly inside the engine. What is there to do about this, any recommend?

pull all the plugs and *slowly* turn it over by hand and see if any water comes out.

then i'd drain the oil and see how much water comes out.

if it's minimal on coming out of the plug holes, i'd spray a metric *** ton of lube down there (and pull the carb and spray down the runners) and slowly turn it over by hand a whole bunch.

if it's minimal intrusion on the sump, i'd refresh the oil and run it and plan on changing it and the filter fairly quickly.

i can't stress this enough: turn the motor over by hand, do not just lean on the starter and try and clear it.

i can't stress this enough: turn the motor over by hand, do not just lean on the starter and try and clear it.
I can testify to that advice. Head gasket caused a leak into a cylinder, cranked the engine and exploded the starter wedging a part of it between the flexplate and the block.

2500.00 later to replace the flexplate, (transverse engine.) And then the head gasket costs

I bought a car with 2x4s through the hood, had to park it in the yard while constructing the garage. It was covered by a blue tarp when rain came through. I thought it was OK. Yeah sure, no. At least I had air cleaners on it so the worst was the heat crossovers on the heads were flooded.

-
Back