Water Leak In Trunk 1973 Dart Custom

-

Mike's Dart

Dodging The Negative Darting Toward The Positive
Reaction score
Looks like it is coming in around the lower right hand corner of the back glass. I taped all around the window and molding and there was another small puddle this morning. Appears to be dripping down from the right deck lid hinge area onto the wheel well. Any ideas?

Thanks In Advance!

Mike

Water can get under a top most anywhere and follow that material to the same lowest point.
Several pieces of sheet metal are stacked and tacked together at the Dutchman panel seam up to the fence that window gasket sits on so any can develop a leak there. In that outer corner under the molding can rust though too. Bottom line... until you start digging in its all just guess work. Good luck

Water can get under a top most anywhere and follow that material to the same lowest point.
Several pieces of sheet metal are stacked and tacked together at the Dutchman panel seam up to the fence that window gasket sits on so any can develop a leak there. In that outer corner under the molding can rust though too. Bottom line... until you start digging in its all just guess work. Good luck

Thanks! I'll get me a water hose and some help and see if I can figure this out! Sounds like you know an awful lot about this old car!

Unfortunately, if it sees much more water, it will rust out very quickly. I would try and get a good quality car cover if you can't keep it inside. They won't completely block rain, but it will help. Wouldn't be surprised if your windshield is doing same thing and your insulation under carpet is wet.

When car does get wet, I would shop vacuum out the creases and crevices as best you can, and frequently check trunk pan and floorboards for moisture. Also keep your eyes on the frame where the torsion bars mount. Common rust area. Hope you don't mind these suggestions. This car is too cool to let it rust away.

Unfortunately, if it sees much more water, it will rust out very quickly. I would try and get a good quality car cover if you can't keep it inside. They won't completely block rain, but it will help. Wouldn't be surprised if your windshield is doing same thing and your insulation under carpet is wet.

When car does get wet, I would shop vacuum out the creases and crevices as best you can, and frequently check trunk pan and floorboards for moisture. Also keep your eyes on the frame where the torsion bars mount. Common rust area. Hope you don't mind these suggestions. This car is too cool to let it rust away.
I appreciate your suggestions! Feel free to chime in and drop your .02s worth anytime! On a positive note, had a fellow flag me down on the way home this evening and ask me how much I wanted for my Dart! That made my day!

They can leak around the attaching points of your trim at the edge of your vinyl top also.
The little seal washers or whatever they are rot away and water can come in around the bolts sticking into the trunk.

I appreciate your suggestions! Feel free to chime in and drop your .02s worth anytime! On a positive note, had a fellow flag me down on the way home this evening and ask me how much I wanted for my Dart! That made my day!
I read that over on the Welcome thread. If I saw that car around here, I'd stop you and ask the same question! :thumbsup:

-
Back