Water pump pickup hose from passenger to drivers side

-

CHARLES FEARNEYHOUGH

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know of a place that sells a radiator hose that would fit a cross engine application?

I have a 1967 Dart GT convertible that I installed a post 1972 360 in. Having not done enough research, one of the problems I am facing is using the correct water pump for this engine. Until now I have been using the pump for a 318. This worked fine with the exception of needing to mark the harmonic balancer as the timing marks are blocked by the drivers side water pickup hose. This has not been a problem until now BUT with the addition of fuel injection and the required pump and stereo the existing alternator is just not enough. This brings us to the fact that the alternator mounting points on the pre 72 water pump are recessed much further than the mounts on a post 72 passenger side pick up water pump. This extra distance is need to install the Proform alternator I bought that claims to fit this engine. I don't want to replace the radiator as I am using a "Be Cool" rad with integrated transmission cooler. I realize I need the correct crank pulley too, its been ordered.

So, using the correct water pump is there a place that sells a radiator hose that will go from the radiator drivers side outlet to the passenger side inlet on the water pump? Is there a reason why this is not a good idea?

Thank you!
Charles

You could swap the 67 timming cover and 67 water pump and alternator brkts onto the 360, everything else just works (as I under stand) as it did on the 273.

You could swap the 67 timming cover and 67 water pump and alternator brkts onto the 360, everything else just works (as I under stand) as it did on the 273.

Thank you for the response.

That pretty much what I did about 5 years ago when I built this engine. The issue with this is that the new alternator will not fit. There is not enough room between the mounting bracket and the Head. Here are a couple of pictures:

1967 water pump.jpg
MD16250_V2.jpg

The pump on the left is 1967 273. The pump on the right is 1972 360. The stand offs for the alternator mount are much further out as is the snout. The Proform internally regulated alternator is deeper than the stock one. Plus the bolts to attach the Summit Racing SME-2006 alternator bracket are about an inch too long with the current configuration. Another indication for the need to swap the pump. In my infinite wisdom :; I cut one of the bolts down to work with what I got. Luckily it was a test fit and I only cut one of the three. I don't think I have much choice but to change this out if I want to use a higher amperage alternator.

The belts won't line up, pulleys are different .

Easiest is to move bottom rad fitting to other side !

Last edited:
I’m not sure there is such a bottom hose, but I think you can improvise one with a trip to the parts store. Get a hose fitting with barbs on both ends and splice a couple together. Should work just fine.

If you start swapping water pumps, a lot of other things will need to change like pulleys.

I appreciate the help! I thought I would update on what I came up with for a solution. After looking at the issue a bit longer I came to the conclusion I really didn't want to cross feed the water pump. I ended up keeping the original drivers side pump, I have what seems to be the rare sb bolt on metal timing marker so it does work like this. I marked the HB at 0 20 30 degrees. I also have RPM heads and the Summit alternator bracket worked fine with them after I made a couple of spacers for the bolts that hold it to the water pump. I needed to move the water pump and crankshaft pulleys out .5" so I turned a piece of 6061 to make a spacer for the pump pulley. I just happened to have a 4" round billet of the stuff. It's not pretty as I didn't dress it but it's accurate and functional. If my research is right the BC on the HB is the same for 426, BB, and SB Mopar so I ordered a spacer for the 426. It's all I could find. If that doesn't work I'll make one. I also turned down the length of the water pump fan spacer .5" to maintain the same distance to the radiator. Anyway I appreciate the help! Go Mopar!

20210708_114707.jpg
20210708_114649.jpg

-
Back