weird problem

-

goodbread

Reaction score
Just swapped a 65 dart four speed into a 64 Valiant. 225 slant motors in both. The first time I shift from first to second - its like the shifter is hitting a brick wall - won't go into second at all. I can shift to third and its fine. Once the gears have been gone through once, I can shift into second without any problem. Any ideas on what is causing the problem in second gear on the first go round? Has me and my mechanic baffled. Dave

Thats probably a fault inside the trans. Try getting a little of reverse as first move and see if the problem goes away.

It also could be you need to use ATF in it instead of 90w fluid. I had the same problem, in cold weather only, and that fixed it!

I believe somewere they had a TSB about useing ATF to cure hard shifting in cold weather. I remember it did make them a bit noisey. I would think todays syn lub would work great.
As for the no go into gear try shifting is with out the rods hooked up and see if it goes in. You may have the shifter out of alignment or the wrong rod.
GEORGE!!
not in 64/65, they use 90w

-
Back