welding cut out bulges onto flat dart hood?

-

Darren

Reaction score
Hey guys I am in the process of welding 68 dart bulges (cutout from a bulge hood) onto a flat 68 dart hood. My plan is to lay them on my flat hood and tack weld them on aprox every 1 1/2" - 2", them have a good body guy level and repaint the hood. have any of you guys done this before? or have any tips, I know i have to watch for heat, so i plan on laying some wet cloths around and under the hood when I start welding.. thanks

Attachments

• bulge.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 171
If you were near me I have a panel spotter and could weld them on for you with factory spot welds.

that would be nice, I plan on using a mig welder, its all a have.

Kinda curious to see how it turns out(no offense) My car is a 69 cuda and the only thing I hate bout them is they had the plain hood. 67-8 could have had inserts. I scrapped 3 old hoods....wish I kept them for "mods" now!!

I use the cold air right out of my air compressor to cool off my welds.Connect a air nozzle to your air compressor hose.Then after each weld blow air on the area you just welded you will be amazed how fast it will cool off.My buddys Dad show me this trick a few years back.
If it were me I would lay the buldges where you want them and trace around them with a sharpie marker.Then I would cut the hood on the lines and butt weld the buldges flush and not on top of the hood.

^ what he said, the hood is a pretty thick gauge, so it should resist warping for the most part.

I use the cold air right out of my air compressor to cool off my welds.Connect a air nozzle to your air compressor hose.Then after each weld blow air on the area you just welded you will be amazed how fast it will cool off.My buddys Dad show me this trick a few years back.
If it were me I would lay the buldges where you want them and trace around them with a sharpie marker.Then I would cut the hood on the lines and butt weld the buldges flush and not on top of the hood.

I was thinking of cutting out holes and butt welding them in, but I think with a mig welder the heat would warp the hood, I don,t know what gauge the hood skin is but it looks pretty thin, maybe 20 gauge. when I lay the bulges over my hood, they lay perfectly flat.

The hood will not warp if you take your time.Make one spot weld at a time blow it cool with your air nozzle.Keep repeating this and skip around with your spot welds.If you lay them on top of the hood that with be just that much more filler that you will have to put on the hood.I butt welded the whole front edge of one hood to another and never had a issue.I would use a high quality filler so youdo not have to worry about it cracking out on you later.

-
Back