Well ya' know all this concern about drones colliding with aircraft?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Well it turns out the PD in Kanuhduh

Plane landing at Markham's Buttonville Airport hit by police drone, sustains major damage

A plane attempting to land at Markham’s Buttonville Airport sustained “major damage” after being hit by a York Regional Police drone this month, according to Transport Canada.

On Aug. 10, a Canadian Flyers International Inc. Cessna 172N was struck by the drone while on its final approach to the airport at 2833 16th Ave., adjacent to Hwy. 404, the report said.

Those aboard the plane “felt a jolt that pushed them back on their seat. They thought they had hit a large bird. They proceeded to land. There was no change in configuration or power since they were about to land,” it said.

“When exiting the aircraft, they were shocked to see a major dent on the left underside of the engine cowling. The airbox was also bent. A few hours later, a police detective confirmed a York Regional Police drone had struck their aircraft. The aircraft suffered major damage, including a propeller strike.”

plane-hit-by-drone-aug-20.jpg

Only an idiot would be flying a RC aircraft near an airport AND high enough to be in the flight path. The drone pilot is lucky he didn't kill those folks. Two more feet of altitude and everyone aboard would probably be dead.

Hopefully they pay for the repairs on the plane. That's not a cheap fix.

Only an idiot would be flying a RC aircraft near an airport AND high enough to be in the flight path. The drone pilot is lucky he didn't kill those folks. Two more feet of altitude and everyone aboard would probably be dead.

Yep, give a guy a drone and a joystick and he thinks he's a damn fighter pilot.

There are laws about flying near airports. With in one mile for sure is a no go and i think it may be four miles. RC i think are required to stay bellow 400" and private aircraft above 1000? I forget but there are rules about this stuff for this exact reason.

There are laws about flying near airports. With in one mile for sure is a no go and i think it may be four miles. RC i think are required to stay bellow 400" and private aircraft above 1000? I forget but there are rules about this stuff for this exact reason.
I don't know much about drones. Do they have a altimeter on them? If they don't they should.

Most do. I dont fly drones but I do fly some large fix and rotor wing RC. You can tell when you are "out side the box".

A police drone probably has exemptions form the laws that apply to civilian RC.

Most do. I dont fly drones but I do fly some large fix and rotor wing RC. You can tell when you are "out side the box".

A police drone probably has exemptions form the laws that apply to civilian RC.
Like the dumb asses shining lasers at aircraft. A few thousand feet up and that beam is as big as a bus. Sure, blind a pilot in a 747 with hundreds aboard. It'll be fun!

Last edited:
LOL, someone ought to tell geese about that law, a b52 from our base went thru a flock of geese , about 900 feet , flying touch and go`s over st louis one time , it made it back to ark. , took 6 months of 24 hr non stop work to get it repaired , was beat all to hell !.

You say that like drone flying idiots are uncommon.... LOL...

You say that like drone flying idiots are uncommon.... LOL...

Ah yes. I see you have experience with civilian drone "pilots"?

My first foray into radio controlled flight was a Hirobo Shuttle, 50 scale. It had a rotor span of about four foot and was crashed when i bought it. I learned to build and repair that machine with no instructions before the internet and before flight simulators.

I learned to fly it through sheer will power and lots of money spent on crash repair parts... after I out grew that machine i stepped up to the 90 class birds with a rotor span of almost six foot. These machines will kill you. They can easy take off an arm or cut you in half. With carbon fiber blades and rotor tip speeds approaching super sonic they are toys that require respect.

When I meet someone who "flys RC" and I ask what they fly and its a drone, my mind blanks out and I often try to get away from them ASAP. The thing with drones is they dont take skill to operate and you dont even really "fly" them you just kinda tell them where to go and they do all the work.

For me the enjoyment and addrenaline come from knowing that i built the entire model BY hand. Did I locktight the screws holding the blade grips to the feathering shaft? Did I set up the mechanical servo mixing jist right?

Is this thing gonna try and kill me on start up or when Im spinning up the rotor head?
Will I mess up and stuff 3K worth of parts into the dirt at 70MPH? or will I keep my **** together be able to get that bird back on the ground in one piece? What if I have an inflight failure am I prepared for that and is my skill level ready for it?

Those are some of the reasons i enjoy flying large scale RC.

With drones you just dont get that. So yeah.. im not a fan of drones. They just don't put any lead in my pencil.

Ah yes. I see you have experience with civilian drone "pilots"?

My first foray into radio controlled flight was a Hirobo Shuttle, 50 scale. It had a rotor span of about four foot and was crashed when i bought it. I learned to build and repair that machine with no instructions before the internet and before flight simulators.

I learned to fly it through sheer will power and lots of money spent on crash repair parts... after I out grew that machine i stepped up to the 90 class birds with a rotor span of almost six foot. These machines will kill you. They can easy take off an arm or cut you in half. With carbon fiber blades and rotor tip speeds approaching super sonic they are toys that require respect.

When I meet someone who "flys RC" and I ask what they fly and its a drone, my mind blanks out and I often try to get away from them ASAP. The thing with drones is they dont take skill to operate and you dont even really "fly" them you just kinda tell them where to go and they do all the work.

For me the enjoyment and addrenaline come from knowing that i built the entire model BY hand. Did I locktight the screws holding the blade grips to the feathering shaft? Did I set up the mechanical servo mixing jist right?

Is this thing gonna try and kill me on start up or when Im spinning up the rotor head?
Will I mess up and stuff 3K worth of parts into the dirt at 70MPH? or will I keep my **** together be able to get that bird back on the ground in one piece? What if I have an inflight failure am I prepared for that and is my skill level ready for it?

Those are some of the reasons i enjoy flying large scale RC.

With drones you just dont get that. So yeah.. im not a fan of drones. They just don't put any lead in my pencil.

My R/C experience was with "stick building" my Super Sportster 20 (I can't stand ARF stuff)..... So yeah I don't have much respect for drone "pilots" or anyone who flies "park flyers" which basically killed the club fields.

I do love me some balsa fix wing flight also.

Years ago I built a large scale P-38 Lightning for the South lake tahoe air show. She was a beauty. I hand painted her, right down to the rivets. Me and some buddy went out to our local club feild a few days before the air show for her maiden flight/shakedown.

Preflight checks are all good.
Batteries are charged in transmitter and RX.
flight controls check out.

A few deep breaths, TX neck strap on to help with my shaking hands.
Taxi down wind, looks good.
My buddy walks down, spins her nose into the wind and grabs her tails after giving me the thumbs up.

Throttle up both counter rotating engines to about 70 percent and my budie lets go.

She is in the air in about 30 foot and gracfull as anything I had ever seen.
I fly the pattern a few times getting her trimmed out just right and WOW.
She is flying hands free like an arrow. Hands down best airframe I have ever built.

Oh my this is good!

I announce I am going to attempt an allieron roll, roll left. Check. Roll right. Check!

Next is up is a loop. Add throttle and pull back on the stick. She climbs over the top like nothing, and here's where it went south.. i still have no idea what happened. Post crash inspection was, well there wasnt much left to inspect. I think i forgot to drop throttle after coming over the top or maybe the linkage to the elevator let go but she did a beautifull "figure 9" and blasted a crater in the dirt about 20 feet infront of me. Nothing left but toothpicks and wire. The only thing to be done was get a garbage bag and go home.....

Some day I would like to build another but even all these years later im still kinda traumatised by it.

:rofl::BangHead:

-
Back