What Are The Best Hearing Protection Ear Muffs?

-

PROSTOCKTOM

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am taking a metal working class for a week in October and will be using a power hammer & planishing hammer a lot, so now is a good time to start figuring out what ear muffs to buy.

Having done some research on the subject it looks like 3M Peltor X5's are pretty good. I've also looked at 3M Pro-Protect + Gel Cushion Electronic Hearing Protection, but not sure I need all the Bluetooth stuff that comes with those. However they claim 26dB rating which is 5 less dB compared to the X5's and they are less than $80 on Amazon. Cost is really not an issue, but I also don't want to over buy unless there is something to gain in protection.

Hammering body panels is probably something I am going to start doing more and more as I age out. The creativity aspect of it is the main draw for me. That said, I need to make sure I take care of my hearing and get the best equipment I can buy.

What experiences do you have with ear muffs?

Thanks,
Tom

We use ear muff and plugs when running the motors on the dyno. I was talking to an audiologist a few weeks ago when I was having some ear molds made for custom ear plugs. And this was what she was saying to do for really loud stuff, as the muff helps cover the back of your ear where your cochlear while the plugs cover your ear canal. I’ve used foam plug, custom plugs for helmet use, have a custom set on the way with the sound filters, and everything from cheap muffs to expensive muff. I prefer the mid grade muff as they get dirty and used so replacing every 2 years is not so bad.

I've had good experience with the 3M Peltor hearing protectors that came on the Husqvarna helmets.

I agree with Scody21, use both muffs and plugs. I did this when I worked at a saw mill, and found a difference using both over either.

I use the foam ear plugs that you smish down and then stick in your ears. They expand into your ear canal. Then I wear muffs over that. Damage was done to my ears when I was younger, being around noisy equipment and not knowing any better. My hearing is fine, but the Tinitis drives me nuts when it gets quiet at night....if I let myself think about it. :BangHead:

Any gun shop sells excellent hearing protection.
This ^^^^^ That's what I was going to suggest. Talk to your local gun store.

Most local gun stores don't offer the level of protection I am looking for. I do have lots of nice foam ear plugs I ordered last year like we used when I ran a factory.

I think I'll just use those and get a pair of the 3M Pro-Protect + Gel Cushion Electronic Hearing Protection muffs. If I think I need more protection after I try this combination I'll have a

custom set molded to fit my ears.

Tom

I have the Bluetooth 3M ear muffs and the Bluetooth walker ear muffs with gel ear pads. I use them while on the riding lawn mower, tractor, chain saw or weed eater.

Both work well, I’ve been using the walkers more lately because the gel pads work better with sun glasses, neither work well with a hat.

If you want better than that get custom ones from an audiologist and that will cost a couple grand.

Lots of folks dont use the plugs correctly. There is a little technique to get the eye watering seal.

Okay I think I am all set now for Metal Meet 2024.

I've used the Howard Leight RTSFU30HP - Fusion, earplugs for years and they are rated at 27NNR. I'll include a link for those in case someone is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JNFJ2X7?tag=fabo03-20

Then I purchased the 3M Peltor X5 310.10 Optime III ear muffs. They were delivered today and tried them out. They are very quiet and comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VDX18E?tag=fabo03-20

There are obviously better setups if you have custom made equipment, but I think this will work well for a week of classes.

Tom

-
Back