What changed in 73?

-

nomed72

Reaction score
I’m building a 72 Demon clone using a 73 duster shell. I have been looking for 340 headers as well as. Other things and everything says 67-72
I don’t see what has changed?? Other than obvious grill fender bumper er cetera.
appreciate any advice.

You pretty much got the exterior covered, but depending on what year you are going for, the fender and quarter side marker lenses were changed from 70-71. 1972 and up went to the corporate standard side marker lenses.
The interior door panels were quite a bit different. The 70-72 cars had the metal upper and lower door panels and quarter window surround. The 73 cars and up used plastic. The other big change was the space saver rear fold down seat was added as an option in 73.

The steering linkages changed between those years - idler, pitman, center link, brake styles, bolt pattern w/discs, etc. But the header designs usually fit both. Basically, for chassis parts you need '73+ parts.

The steering linkages changed between those years - idler, pitman, center link, brake styles, bolt pattern w/discs, etc. But the header designs usually fit both. Basically, for chassis parts you need '73+ parts.
Interesting... I was planning to use my 72 steering column. But maybe that won’t jive. Hadn’t thought of that

You pretty much got the exterior covered, but depending on what year you are going for, the fender and quarter side marker lenses were changed from 70-71. 1972 and up went to the corporate standard side marker lenses.
The interior door panels were quite a bit different. The 70-72 cars had the metal upper and lower door panels and quarter window surround. The 73 cars and up used plastic. The other big change was the space saver rear fold down seat was added as an option in 73.
Thanks, I got all that covered. Concerned about drive train, suspension, steering etcetera

Suspension has 4 1/2" BP single piston Disc brakes with different Master cylinder (hopefully). Upper control arms have larger Balljoints (good). Different spindles, Lower control arm I think stay the same. And what Post#3 says.

Rad support . Tail light supports, leaf springs and front hangers, Doors and inner quarters, Seat belt location on 71 , Fender splash shields, Just some things that were not mentioned but could effect a parts list.

Lots and lots and lots of things changed. First year for big bolt pattern wheels on disk brake cars. First year for reinforced impact bumpers. "I guess?" first year for heavier reinforced doors. As stated but more: The K member was different. Not only did the motor mount perches go from pillow mounts to spool mounts, and the steering linkage is different, but the anti say bar goes INSIDE the K member, and the connecting tabs for them on the lower control arms are different.

You would have to check the fuel tank. There were changes allmost every year in the evap emission control system. The earlier years used a big vapor separator in the tank. Later years incorporated the separator right in the tank, eliminating several external tank fittings and plumbing.

It may be easier to ask what stayed the same! The dash pad is one thing. The exterior door handles......

Really though with what the guys have told you here, you can see that you will have a fairly straight forward task in the conversion. The hood latch support / crossbrace and fenders are probably the main things that will affect how the grill attaches as you mentioned yourself.

Thanks, I got all that covered. Concerned about drive train, suspension, steering etcetera
Column will work.
Rad support . Tail light supports, leaf springs and front hangers, Doors and inner quarters, Seat belt location on 71 , Fender splash shields, Just some things that were not mentioned but could effect a parts list.

There shouldn't be any problems with drivetrain if you use everything from one year or the other. Mixing and matching might encounter some minor differences. As mentioned, the front suspension changed along with the k-member and engine mounts. Everything in the rear axle and suspension should swap over. The wiring harnesses are different. Steering column is the same assuming same steering box, transmission, floor, column, etc. All the side glass (door and quarter) are different as are the regulators and hardware. The power steering gear changed from '72 to '73 model years. '73 started the large pitman shaft. You would want to match the box to the year suspension (and pitman arm) and k-member you decide to use. Otherwise, you're looking at getting some conversion parts or making modifications.

Your best bet if you just want the demon look is put a 72 fenders grille and hood . Put the taillights in and bumpers and you'll have a Demon clone. Everything else leave 73 this way when you go to do repairs everything from a 73 will work. Not to mention all the 73 mechanical parts are an update. K member/ spool mounts and suspension are better 73 -76. The only thing would be to add an 8 3/4 rear.

The front spring hangers have a larger diameter hole and are at a different location but are what you will need for a spring upgrade. The factory rear leafs are not that good on a 73 - 76 any model. but the hangers are what you will need for the springs you'll buy. All good springs for an a-body are large dia. spring eyes. You'll want to modify your rear hangers for B/E-body diameter shackles. I have some parts if needed if you get into a bind.

I’m building a 72 Demon clone using a 73 duster shell. I have been looking for 340 headers as well as. Other things and everything says 67-72
I don’t see what has changed?? Other than obvious grill fender bumper er cetera.
appreciate any advice.
Thanks guys I appreciate all the info I can get.. Been out of this for a while. Next up is looking for a good A833 4sd.

All the changes listed make the 73/74 cars much better than 72 and prior, and don't forget Electronic Ignition on all 73's. Well I guess they had it in 72 also.

-
Back