What color should my 69 340 be?

-

swinger340

Reaction score
Have a late (5/69) 69 swinger 340. The closest to date correct (2/69) block that i have (out of 69 swinger) looks as though it was originally turquoise. Mabe assy plant has something to do w/ this? My vin is LM23P9B375??? Ive seen 69 swingers w red and orange 340s as well. I was thinking red but the turquoise looks pretty cool to. Thanks for looking, Kevin.

I worked on quite a few of the 69s back in the day and I saw red, turquoise and orange. More turquoise than anything but my friend had an early 69 and it came red. His brother picked up a 69 a few years later (I'm almost positive the engine was original) and it was orange. I recall more than one example of each color however turquoise was prominent on the 69s.

There seems to be some debate on this question.
Another mopar site unanimously said all 1969 340's were turquoise.
Mopar Performance paint says 68-69 340's = red. So..............

1970-1971 340 -Hemi Orange
1972-1973-340 Blue

This question has been beat about for years!
I had 2 '69 340 Swingers with original owners at a show years ago with one Orange and one Turquoise engines!
Man what an argument!
The best we could figure on those 2 was different build plants.

Good luck deciding!

Later,
Bruce B.

This question has been beat about for years!
I had 2 '69 340 Swingers with original owners at a show years ago with one Orange and one Turquoise engines!
Man what an argument!
The best we could figure on those 2 was different build plants.

Good luck deciding!

Later,
Bruce B.

Exactly, I've even heard that color was the flavor of the day because it was easier than retooling for a different color. I guess the boy's at the factory weren't as finicky as we are. :mrgreen:

is there -- or was there -- any evidence of the engine's original colour ?

every untouched 1969 model year 340 I've seen ( not too may ) were all Chrysler Engine Blue .

1968 = Chrysler Engine Red
1969 = Chrysler Engine Blue
1970 & 1971 = Chrysler Engine Orange
1972 & 1973 = Chrysler Engine Blue , with an "Air Cleaner Orange" orange air cleaner .

Assembly plant variations could definitely be a factor , as well as build date . All of the '69 340-powered Darts & Barracudas I've seen were built at the Los Angeles facility .
However , all 340's were built in one facility . Not certain whether or not the Mound Road Plant painted the assemblies , or if that was left to the individual plants
( Windsor , Ont ; Los Angeles ; Hamtramck ) .

is there -- or was there -- any evidence of the engine's original colour ?

every untouched 1969 model year 340 I've seen ( not too may ) were all Chrysler Engine Blue .

1968 = Chrysler Engine Red
1969 = Chrysler Engine Blue
1970 & 1971 = Chrysler Engine Orange
1972 & 1973 = Chrysler Engine Blue , with an "Air Cleaner Orange" orange air cleaner .

Assembly plant variations could definitely be a factor , as well as build date . All of the '69 340-powered Darts & Barracudas I've seen were built at the Los Angeles facility .
However , all 340's were built in one facility . Not certain whether or not the Mound Road Plant painted the assemblies , or if that was left to the individual plants
( Windsor , Ont ; Los Angeles ; Hamtramck ) .

Turquoise not blue,in 69

I bought a used '69 340 Swinger from the original owner in November 1969 - the engine was turquoise.

I`ve read that there have been three colors found on 69 blocks. Most 69 340s (probably about 99%) are turquoise but it has been found that some very early builds are red ( leftover 68 paint). It seems that there are also some very late 69 builds that may have received an orange paint job (the color for 1970). Chrysler didn`t like to waste anything so many cars that fall into the transitional period from model year to model year, will often receive the leftovers from the past model year whether it`s parts or paint.

I`ve read that there have been three colors found on 69 blocks. Most 69 340s (probably about 99%) are turquoise but it has been found that some very early builds are red ( leftover 68 paint). It seems that there are also some very late 69 builds that may have received an orange paint job (the color for 1970). Chrysler didn`t like to waste anything so many cars that fall into the transitional period from model year to model year, will often receive the leftovers from the past model year whether it`s parts or paint.

I believe this to be reasonable.

If you go Turquoise that will be your best chance of having the correct color.

They were all supposed to be turquoise in '69 but some slipped out with whatever they had on hand at the time. Mine came through with turquoise and it was an early car built in fall of '68. These cars were built at factories, mistakes were made, sometimes supplies ran out and they used what they had.

-
Back