what do i need to buy to put new brakes in?

-

internetjax

Reaction score
hey guys, just picked up a 68 dart, but it needs new brakes. what do i need to buy in order to replace this myself? the master cylinder is leaking and i need new lines, but my buddy was saying something bout a brake booster being something i can add, so that would give me power brakes. is there a kit or a link i can follow to read up on how to do this? I would like to get the car safe to drive asap so i can cruise em. aloha

Youtube is your friend.

100s of videos on doing brakes.

If you want to replace everything and start from scratch, I would start from the ground up. If you want disc brakes you could get a kit like these:Mopar Chrysler Plymouth A body front disc brake conversion 5 on 4 bolt pattern | eBay

Complete Dodge Dart Mopar A Body Disc Brake Conversion Kit for 5x4.5 Wheels | eBay
Pay attention to the bolt pattern, I don’t know what yours is. There’s “small bolt pattern” (5 on 4”) and “big bolt pattern” (5 on 4.5”)
You can get a kit with or without a master cylinder.

And then choose a line kit. I like replacing my lines along with everything else because it gives me peace of mind:
1968-69 Dodge Dart Mopar A Body Complete Manual Disc Brake Line Kit Set OE Steel | eBay

I hope this helps. Of course, do some research to make sure the parts you’re getting match the goals you have. If you just want to cruise, keep it simple add a brake booster if that makes you feel better.

Unless you have a physical limitation, power brakes are not necessary on an A-body. It adds nothing to stopping power. You definitely need a new MC.
Do you have 4 wheel drums or front discs? If you're not sure pictures of a front brake with the wheel off would help identify what you have. If you don't know the difference, you may not want to tackle the rebuild. Be aware that your car probably has left hand thread lug nuts on the driver side.

Meanwhile, you can check out Rockauto for info.

hey guys, just picked up a 68 dart, but it needs new brakes. what do i need to buy in order to replace this myself? the master cylinder is leaking and i need new lines, but my buddy was saying something bout a brake booster being something i can add, so that would give me power brakes. is there a kit or a link i can follow to read up on how to do this? I would like to get the car safe to drive asap so i can cruise em. aloha
BrākLeen.

If you want to replace everything and start from scratch, I would start from the ground up. If you want disc brakes you could get a kit like these:Mopar Chrysler Plymouth A body front disc brake conversion 5 on 4 bolt pattern | eBay

Complete Dodge Dart Mopar A Body Disc Brake Conversion Kit for 5x4.5 Wheels | eBay
Pay attention to the bolt pattern, I don’t know what yours is. There’s “small bolt pattern” (5 on 4”) and “big bolt pattern” (5 on 4.5”)
You can get a kit with or without a master cylinder.

And then choose a line kit. I like replacing my lines along with everything else because it gives me peace of mind:
1968-69 Dodge Dart Mopar A Body Complete Manual Disc Brake Line Kit Set OE Steel | eBay

I hope this helps. Of course, do some research to make sure the parts you’re getting match the goals you have. If you just want to cruise, keep it simple add a brake booster if that makes you feel better.

Great thank you, the rear brakes qere changed and rebuilt by the previous owner and he had the rear lines done by the shop so I only have to do the front ones. i wanted to double check on some stuff with you guys before i buy the wrong parts.

so i have to get two front brake hoses, both those gaskets for the master cylinder since i think it doesnt come with them, the master cylinder, and the steel front brake line set. i think i have disc brakes in the front cause that thing i took a pic of looks like a caliper to me but im not sure. this product says its for a bodies with front drum brakes though but it looks just like the rubber hose i took a pic of. i snapped a photo of both ends of the hose thats on there to make sure.

So i change out the front lines, the two rubber hoses, and the master cylinder and i should be all good? and i checked out the exhaust leak theres one before and after the muffler on the tailpipe side and one good size crack on the thing going out of the engine by the intake manifold? i was gonna use some of that high head exhaust leak stuff with a method i watched on a chrisfix video of putting a vacuum cleaner to the exhaust with the car off and cramming that putty in the cavity after wire brushing the hell out of it and with the engine cool. with that good to go all i would need is a tail light and a headlight and i think i would be street legal and safe.

0B3E291A-1F96-4E12-B321-44A1D3C191AA.png

0B0A2A96-AC6F-474D-9540-78A338005BE8.png

9B9492B3-8237-4000-B74B-0D309DA91F86.png

4DD87740-6F9E-4766-871D-072002D196DD.png

D46A70CE-7D84-4D4C-82E5-FADA9786343A.png

BF8CA73E-46F6-4DA1-8F5F-400389D2D15B.jpeg

4CDCAA9A-1ACC-4E49-A88C-B5D07DE3320B.jpeg

B7204960-E673-4C9C-9330-6CFC20450C24.jpeg

36CE9D28-627D-4891-86D2-6FE7E4149F0F.jpeg

Pic shows kelsey-hayes front disc brakes. They are factory brakes. Kelsey-Hayes made them for Chrysler and Ford. So you need hoses and master cylinder for disc brakes.
Those calipers may need rebuild or replace. If you use a c-clamp to push those pistons back into crusty bores, they will stick and you may struggle to get them out again for rebuild. How bad they look on the outside doesn't define what they look like on the inside but... go ahead and rebuild them would be my plan.
A replacement maser cylinder will come with the rubber gasket under the reservoir cover. The white gasket between master cylinder and firewall is simple dense foam same as packaging material you may have. Make that gasket yourself to save a few coins.

^^Agree^^ With Redfish.
The master cylinder shown here is not really correct
4dd87740-6f9e-4766-871d-072002d196dd-png.png

The disk/drum master cylinder has a larger front brake resevoir.
upload_2021-4-4_22-3-37.png

If your car has that master cylinder, rebuild it.
They have become very difficult to obtain.
Rebuilding it might be as simple as replacing the seals or it might have to be sent out for sleeving. All depends on the condition of the bore.

An alternative is to buy a aluminum master cylinder. "Dr Diff" is a reputable source and I assume he'll ship to Maui.
Be careful of the plastic resevoir - some friends had mentioned they sometimes leak at the bottom seal. They were a production item - I dont think its a major issue - just a weak point.

1968 is a transition year for drum brakes. be sure to reference '68 and earlier when working on the drums.

Front brakes and master cylinders remained unchange. You can reference '67 - '69, and '70-'72 is very similar.
Definately replace the hoses.
Everything else is a see what you find as you go along.

There are some excellent filmstrips and booklets on brakes in the 'Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics
Srcoll down to 1967 and '68.

With manual front discs, choice of pads and surface finish of the rotor can a make difference in how much pressure your leg needs to apply during a stop.
Yes a booster was an option, and actually a fairly common one at the time. But you may decide its not needed or even wanted.

^^Agree^^ With Redfish.
The master cylinder shown here is not really correct
View attachment 1715718790

The disk/drum master cylinder has a larger front brake resevoir.
View attachment 1715718781
If your car has that master cylinder, rebuild it.
They have become very difficult to obtain.
Rebuilding it might be as simple as replacing the seals or it might have to be sent out for sleeving. All depends on the condition of the bore.

An alternative is to buy a aluminum master cylinder. "Dr Diff" is a reputable source and I assume he'll ship to Maui.
Be careful of the plastic resevoir - some friends had mentioned they sometimes leak at the bottom seal. They were a production item - I dont think its a major issue - just a weak point.

1968 is a transition year for drum brakes. be sure to reference '68 and earlier when working on the drums.
Front brakes and master cylinders remained unchange. You can reference '67 - '69, and '70-'72 is very similar.
Definately replace the hoses.
Everything else is a see what you find as you go along.

There are some excellent filmstrips and booklets on brakes in the 'Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics
Srcoll down to 1967 and '68.

With manual front discs, choice of pads and surface finish of the rotor can a make difference in how much pressure your leg needs to apply during a stop.
Yes a booster was an option, and actually a fairly common one at the time. But you may decide its not needed or even wanted.
That master cylinder may be correct. Description says it is. The early ones with bolt on top looked very much alike. The drum/drum master cylinder had a shallow reservoir. Disc/drum master cylinder casting was deeper to hold more fluid. Hard to see the difference looking at only one.

That master cylinder may be correct. Description says it is. The early ones with bolt on top looked very much alike. The drum/drum master cylinder had a shallow reservoir. Disc/drum master cylinder casting was deeper to hold more fluid. Hard to see the difference looking at only one.
There's so many companies now that are selling drum master cylinders with the residual valve removed from the front brake outlet, theres a 99% chance that's what they're selling.
According to those Chrysler master tech booklets, only the drum brake masters had castings with the bolt down caps.

-
Back