What exhaust manifold gasket for slightly pitted 340 manifold

-

340doc

Reaction score
I don't know if this pitting will cause a leak or not. I hit the whole manifold with a file and there are a few slightly lower pits on one port, enough to feel. Any recommendations on a gasket that will seal it up? Or will any type of fill work? Or keep filing.

IMG_20200502_153717.jpg

Last edited:
Or you can get them surfaced. Plenty of meat to get the job done.

keep filing . back in the day mopar did not use a gasket. a smear of high temp silicone or a mr. gasket ultra seal header gaskets

Maybe wire brush it and get some high temp filler and skim coat it. Hit with a sanding block on the skim and run it.

I don't know if this pitting will cause a leak or not. I hit the whole manifold with a file and there are a few slightly lower pits on one port, enough to feel. Any recommendations on a gasket that will seal it up? Or will any type of fill work? Or keep filing.

View attachment 1715521827
Try and clean the rust out of those pits and treat them with some rust stopper, you want to stop that rust from growing. Percey dead soft exh gaskets....or hi temp rtv and let dry before start up
Is my advice

Try and clean the rust out of those pits and treat them with some rust stopper, you want to stop that rust from growing. Percey dead soft exh gaskets....or hi temp rtv and let dry before start up
Is my advice
I plan on blasting them, that should get it out, then I'll treat it. Thanks for your idea.

Too bad they are so darned heavy. I could have surfaced them and sent them back to Detroit by now. Takes about 15 min.

-
Back