what flywheel for a 273 128 tooth. with a 360 bellhousing

-

SnowDrifter

Reaction score
i need a cluch and flywheel for the 273. does the 360 bell fit.

Use a flywheel from a later 318/340
Which is a 10.5 flywheel that's neutral balance.
360/340/318 bellhousing will work fine with a 273. What year car is another story.. wont fit in a 66 or earlier.

360 flywheels will not work, they are external balance.

Are you saying the 360 bell will not fit a 65 273 eng.
The 360 bell will fit the 273, use the 10.5 flywheel (130 tooth) as said by MOPAROFFICIAL.
The larger bell MAY have a couple of interference points in an early A, mainly at the firewall/floor seam. Not everybody experiences this. If so, fold/beat the seam flat in the offending area(s). Brewer's sells a hybrid linkage to fit the later bell in an early A body.
If swapping from an automatic, make sure your crank is drilled for a pilot bushing.

360/340/318 bellhousing will work fine with a 273. What year car is another story.. wont fit in a 66 or earlier.

I have that bellhousing in my 66 with no issues or mods. I did buy the Brewers Z bar kit and it works flawlessly.

Why will it not work with a 66?

Why will it not work with a 66?
I assumed , because it wouldn't fit in a 64.
There were changes in 66, we have a 66 valiant at the shop in prather even, but I never noticed the firewall change... so in keeping with what I experienced and know of the 67 n up cars.. i assumed. Thanks

I assumed , because it wouldn't fit in a 64.
There were changes in 66, we have a 66 valiant at the shop in prather even, but I never noticed the firewall change. Thanks.
Firewall is the same 64 to 66 so I dont know why it would not fit yours. I have the original motor mounts. Do you have aftermarket mounts that place the engine higher?

It will fit
Thanks.
My brother was all ready to cut a little with his 318/4spd conversation from 3 on the tree. He'll be happy to know. He isnt the type to test fit.lol The 66 a body was one I stayed away from. It kinda grew on me after a while. Just sucks with being one year only on trim n $uch. Lol

Firewall is the same 64 to 66 so I dont know why it would not fit yours. I have the original motor mounts. Do you have aftermarket mounts that place the engine higher?

727 didnt fit and no, stock 273 mounts from the yard. That was back in 2000. About an inch from seating the crossmember.iirr

Thanks.
My brother was all ready to cut a little with his 318/4spd conversation from 3 on the tree. He'll be happy to know. He isnt the type to test fit.lol The 66 a body was one I stayed away from. It kinda grew on me after a while. Just sucks with being one year only on trim n $uch. Lol
I agree but the one year only is just the skins she has the same bones.

The 273 is going into my little racer.
While I build my racing eng.
So it should be good with the right pilot bushing. Any flywheel cluch recommendation?

That's another ??. Do I rebuild the 360 or what I think I will do is go big block.
383 Has a shorter stroke and I think easier to get parts.
I wish I can that 440 HP CHP Interceptor I had in the 70's

Luckily every 273 crank I've come across has been drilled for a pilot bushing.

Hey everyone.. would you all say that the 1960's cranks were all drilled while the 70's n up were a crap shoot? Cause that seems to be the trend with what I've taken apart.

I'll need to pull the 904 off to see what my crankshaft looks like. If I remember right it did have a pilot hole

I'm having some trouble and I realized I didn't know how to count when I said 128 yes it is 130

I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find a flywheel

Hey everyone.. would you all say that the 1960's cranks were all drilled while the 70's n up were a crap shoot? Cause that seems to be the trend with what I've taken apart.
That could be- I've noticed a similar trend in the old LAs I've had apart... didn't know if I was just that lucky or what. But it only takes a minute to look and be sure, regardless. :) Because with early LAs you can't fudge it and use the late model roller bearing in the convertor bore for your pilot- they've got the goofy early small convertor hub...

I've never seen one that wasn't drilled for a pilot bushing, and most have had the pilot bushing in them also. Stick or auto....didn't matter. Most 318/340 cranks are the same way....360's are a crap shoot!

Are you saying the 360 bell will not fit a 65 273 eng.
I really don't want to open this can of worms....but if the 360 bellhousing that you are referring to is a truck 360 bellhousing for a 143 tooth flywheel/11"clutch then you might have interference issues plus the starter will be protruding out farther into an area that is already tight. Also this bellhousing has the pattern for an A230 3 spd but not for an A833.
I assume that this is not the case and you are referring to a bellhousing for a 130 tooth flywheel but I thought that I would mention it.

-
Back