What heat range plug should I use for my 340???

-

duster360

Reaction score
I am going to run either autolite or champion spark plugs in my 340. The compression is right around 9.5:1 with iron J heads. What would be a good heat range to use with 93 octane pump gas. My ignition is MSD 6al with blaster 2 coil.

I've had good luck with NGK V-power too. Your on the line for a 6 or 7 heat range. Start with a 7 and see how it looks after a few runs. May be fine or you may need to step up to a 6. My 408 is 9.8 to 2 compression and likes a 7

Would one of you mind helping me with the part number I would need at my local Advance Auto Parts? When I looked up the plugs for my engine it called for a 2635 part # and that was a plug with a 4 heat range. What # for the 6 - 7 heat range plugs?

With my MSD ignition should I stay with .035" gap or open them up to .045". Or something else?

I've found some engines like a wider gap and some make no difference, or even slow down but it never hurts to try opening it up and see if it likes it. If it slows down close it back up .005" at a time until it peaks.

I've had good luck with NGK V-power too. Your on the line for a 6 or 7 heat range. Start with a 7 and see how it looks after a few runs. May be fine or you may need to step up to a 6. My 408 is 9.8 to 2 compression and likes a 7
Hey fishy… I have a ‘72 Duster (built 340) with 11:1 compression. Do you think the NGK 7 (V-power) would be a good choice?

Thank you!

No. NGK 6. Unless it is going to be at WOT for minutes at a time, & not seconds at a time.

-
Back