what i have been doing (biggest honey do ever)

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
hi Y'all

here is the biggest honey do i have ever done. when i was getting supplies with my wife helping me, she asked me if i had ever done this before. i told her no, but i did stay at a holiday inn express once tho. LOL. actually i have done different aspects of construction, just not everything in one job, so this was a test of my skills.

living here in west texas having an open covered patio is kinda a waste. its useable for spring, and fall. winter is too cold to use it, and summer is too hot.

the concrete under the covered patio i enclosed was poured with the house slab, the patio beyond it was poured sometime after the house was built.

i had to use my floor jack and a pole to jack up the corner of the roof, to level it out a bit as it became the upper header for the windows i put in.

as of now its dried in, and watertite. all the rough in electrical is done. i used 3/4" Rmax foamboard against the framing, then masonite over it. i custom made stainless steel flashing for the lower edges and caulked the hell out of it with liquid nails, then silicone under the lower trim strip. i plan on putting up rain gutters to keep the rain from splashing up on the lower edge too.

city calls for R30 in ceilings, and R13 in walls on new construction. with the foamboard in the walls, and nailed up under the ceiling insulation before i put up the sheetrock in the ceiling, i will have R35 in the ceiling, and R18 in the walls.

my windows are custom made for the opening and are low E glass, argon filled between the panes.the full length glass panel door has a built in blind and is also argon filled.

i have a super heavy duty Endura wall mount doggie door that will be mounted next to the door. it has 2 flaps, and a locking slider, magnetic all around the flaps to keep the outside air , well , outside.

i have to run my cable line for cable TV in the new room, then its time to get itchy with the insulation, and call the city for a final to put up the sheetrock. for a guy with no formal house building training i think its coming along pretty good.

it will be nice to sit out here on rainy days, and watch the thunderstorms roll in, or just enjoy a cup of coffee in here in the morning. it looks small in the pix, but its inside dimension is 11.5' x7.5' im thinking this will be a cool room to set up the christmas tree in the wintertime.

oh and BTW the house trim was poop brown, we are color changing the whole house to a tan that matches the metal roof i had installed a few years back. of course starting with painting the addition first. i think the new color looks really good, and goes with the brick much better.

enjoy the pix of my labor LOL
matt

Attachments

• sunroom2.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 197
  • sunroom1.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 190
  • sunroom8.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 190
  • sunroom7.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 195
  • sunroom9.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 203
  • sunroom10.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 011.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 010.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 210
Well, yahbut......b.b....bb......but..........whaddayagonna do fer a patio now? LOL

That looks very nice. How did you tie the roofs together where that valley is?
Way to go:cheers:
C

That looks very nice. How did you tie the roofs together where that valley is?
Way to go:cheers:
C

my roofing contractor did this. where the 2 pieces come together he made a long piece of flashing, put it under the main roof, and on top of the patio roof, the water slopes off pretty well, even in torrential rain storms that west texas is known for in the spring, but i had him fill the holes up in the roof panel on the patio roof side with roofing sealant just in case we get snow fall, because the water will want to back up.

i havent had any leaks so far and its been 2 years since i had roof installed.

Well, yahbut......b.b....bb......but..........whaddayagonna do fer a patio now? LOL

still is a patio. there was a concrete one that was poured years before i bought the house. this one is past the original patio thats now a room. you can see it in the pix. granted its not super big, but you can sit a few chairs out there. in the last few pix you will notice what looks like a rusty rim. its a truck rim up on concrete blocks. we have fires in this sometimes at night when its not too hot.

i cant wait till its done and we can use it. its costing me some cash to do. using my income tax return to fund most of it. but being able to do the construction and swing the hammer myself helps a lot. i cant imagine how much this would cost if i payed someone to do it.

i had to have a master electrician pull the permit for the electrical, then i helped him with most of it since i have a knowledge of house wiring but no electricians licence. cost me $130 plus materials to wire it. i cant complain.

windows werent cheap tho. these are an industrial grade aluminum window with low E glass, and argon filled panes, and a heat break in the frames so the heat doesnt transfer thru the frame into the house. they were custom made to fit the opening. the windows were pretty pricey but worth it for how they are made.

i have these in the rest of my home. my house is 1700 sq feet, i put these in, a 4 ton 12 SEER A/C unit, and an extra 12" of blow in fiberglass insulation, my electric bill dropped from $350 per month to $150 per month in the summer. now that im married and we have the TV running all the time, and kids leaving the lights on my electric bill is like $200 per month in the summer.

the window company is clearlite windows. these are custom made right in good ole abilene texas.

I cant wait to get this done so i can get back to the cuda. Summer time is coming, plus i have to repaint the rest of the house to match. I have to work around which side of the house the sun is on at that moment when i paint so i can stay out of the sun.

Told my wife this needs to be the last honey do for awhile, since its a big one. Told her this one trumps all the little ones she wants done for a long while LOL.

O my goodness Mat, that looks great and a good fit to your home :glasses7: well dun sir :cheers:

And just think! That wall that seen heat before you built it will not feel the Texas heat anymore

O my goodness Mat, that looks great and a good fit to your home :glasses7: well dun sir :cheers:

And just think! That wall that seen heat before you built it will not feel the Texas heat anymore

Thanks memike

This is the side that faces due east, so it gets sunlight all the way to noon. I had no choice but to super insulate it otherwise it would be unbearably hot in there in the summertime.

The home exterior is mostly brick, but where it goes above the home side walls and turns triangular for the roof its also masonite board the same style as the walls on the sunporch. I really tried to make it look like it was built as part of the house, at least from the outside. On the inside theres 2 brick walls and a sliding door to the living room. Maybe some day we will remove that and put french doors in. Once the insulations installed i can leave the living room slider open to cool this room while i sheetrock it.

Well i went and pulled my cable tv wire thru, and nailed in a mounting box for it, and went and got all itchy putting in fiberglass insulation. Holy crap R30 is freakin thick. Now at least i can leave the sliding door from the living room open to the enclosed porch and keep cool now so i can do the rest in air conditioned comfort.

Got to call the city first and get my ok to close up. They want to make sure its all up to snuff, and has the correct insulation.

My electrical rough in passed, had to wait for that before i could cover it up with the itchy stuff. And dint worry folks i was wearing my painters respirator to put it in.

I will send some more pix once i get the gypsum board up, mudded and taped.

-
Back